Job Title: Student Trainee (Program Support Assistant)Job Announcement Number: IES-2013-0014
Department: Department Of Education
Agency: Office of the Deputy Secretary of Education
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Friday, January 25, 2013 to
Friday, February 01, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Intern, Full-time, Flexible work schedule -
Excepted Appointment, This position is a temporary position not to exceed (NTE) one (1) year.
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is part of the Pathways Program and is open to students currently enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an accredited educational or certification program at least half-time.
The U.S. Department of Education (ED) is always seeking the best and brightest to promote student achievement and preparation of global competitiveness by fostering educational excellence and ensuring equal access.
If you are a highly-motivated, creative individual who would like to work for an agency that establishes policies on federal aid for education, distributes as well as monitors those funds; collects data on America's schools and disseminates research; focuses national attention on key educational issues; and prohibits discrimination and ensures equal access to education, ED is the place for you!
This intern position is a part of the Department of Education's Pathways Program. The Pathways Program was established to provide students enrolled in a variety of education institutions with opportunities to work in agencies and explore Federal careers while still in school. Additional information about the Internship Program can be found at www.usajobs.gov/studentsandgrads/.
- You must be a U.S. citizen to apply for this position.
DUTIES:Back to top
This developmental position is located in the Institute of Education Sciences. As a Student Trainee you will:
- Perform clerical and administrative support for the assigned organization.
- Process or maintain records and/or documents related to the work of the office.
- Assist in managing office facilities for the processes and maintenance of office products.
- Respond to information requests on topics related to the mission, products, or services of the organization.
- Explain resources, services, and administrative processes to clients using the appropriate form(s) and/or make appropriate referrals following established procedures.
- Provide limited technical answers to inquiries by phone, in person or written correspondence, related to the organization's mission.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify for this position, you must be a student enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a qualifying educational or certification program. To qualify for the GS-5 Level: applicant should have 4-years of course study leading to a bachelor's degree OR 3 years of general experience, 1 year of which is equivalent to at least a GS-4. Combination of education and experience. Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at grades GS-5 and below.
For full qualifications go to: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/index.asp
Veterans’ Preference: If you are entitled to veterans’ preference, you should indicate the type of veterans’ preference you are claiming on your resume. Your veterans’ preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency.
For 5-point veterans’ preference, please provide your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., copy of military orders, campaign documents as: or expeditionary award citation, etc.) that proves your military service was performed under honorable conditions.
For 10-point veterans’ preference, you must submit a SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference and all other required documentation. Click here for the form http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/sf15.pdf
Applicants must be a U.S. citizen and enrolled at least half time at a qualified education institution. Applicants must also complete a background investigation.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To determine if you are best qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be conducted. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications requirements will be referred to the selecting official. If there are qualified preference eligible veterans, they will be referred first for consideration.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Applications submitted via EdHIRES must be received before midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement. No extensions will be granted. If you fail to submit a COMPLETE on-line resume, you WILL NOT be considered for this position. If applying on-line poses a hardship to any applicant, the Servicing Personnel Office listed on the announcement will provide assistance to ensure that applications are submitted on-line by the closing date. Applicants MUST CONTACT the Servicing Human Resources Office PRIOR TO THE CLOSING DATE to speak to someone who can provide assistance for on-line submission. Requests for extensions will not be granted.
WARNING! You should make a fair and accurate assessment of your qualifications and submit ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION WITH YOUR APPLICATION. Applicants who do not submit a COMPLETE application will be rated ineligible.
The following documents are required if you are applying for this position. All documents may not apply to all applicants; you should only submit those that apply to you.
- Schedule A Certificate/Letter – Official document authenticating special hiring authority due to a disability. (If applicable)
- Department of Defense Form DD-214 – Official document verifying creditable military service. (If applicable)
- Standard Form 15 – Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, to adjudicate individuals’ claims for veterans’ preference. (If applicable)
- Veterans Administration Letter – Official document verifying total compensable disability based on military service. (If applicable)
- College Transcripts – Required from all applicants
- Proof of Enrollment – Required from all applicants. (This may be a copy of your current class schedule or document that verifies you are currently enrolled to attend classes at least half-time.)
Please include announcement number on any documents that are faxed.
Failure to submit a college transcript AND proof of enrollment will result in an ineligibility determination and your application will not be considered further for the opportunity.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
Once the application process is completed in its entirety, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. Qualified applicants will be referred to the hiring managers for further consideration and possible interviews. Qualified preference eligible veterans will be referred first for consideration.