Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Apply for this exciting position to support the CG missions of safeguarding our Nation's maritime interests in the heartland, in the ports, at sea, and around the globe.
For over two centuries the The U.S. Coast Guard has protected the maritime economy and the environment, we defend our maritime borders, and we save those in peril. This history has forged our character and purpose as America's Maritime Guardian - Always Ready for all hazards and all threats.
NOTE: YOUR APPLICATION TO THIS DELEGATED EXAMINING VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT WILL ONLY ALLOW CONSIDERATION FOR THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. WE CANNOT ELECTRONICALLY OR MANUALLY MOVE YOUR APPLICATION TO THE CONCURRENTLY ADVERTISED MERIT PROMOTION ANNOUNCEMENT. PLEASE ENSURE YOU ARE APPLYING UNDER THE CORRECT ANNOUNCEMENT.
This position is located at the U.S. Coast Guard, Base Boston, Naval Engineering Support Unit Boston, Industrial Production Detachment, South Weymouth, MA.
The incumbent performs painting and sandblasting work in support of the Industrial Operations Division and is responsible for the preparation, by mechanical and chemical process, and the protective and cosmetic coating of buoys, vessels, structures, and miscellaneous objects.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
- Prepares metal surfaces for coating by dry and wet abrasive blasting, by grinding with abrasive disks and wheels, and by chemical stripping methods.
- Prepares metal surfaces by pickling or through controlled oxidation.
- Prepares fiber reinforced plastic surfaces by filling, shaping, an abrasive sanding.
- Mixes and applies by brush, roller, air, or airless spray methods standard coating such as enamels, latex emulsions, varnishes and lacquers, and exotic coatings.
- Develops coatings of proper color, adjusting hue, intensity and tone to match existing color schemes.
- Develops coatings of proper texture, consistency, and thickness; diagnoses coating problems, and adjust application or mixture to obtain desired results.