Skip to main content Skip to footer site map
This Position Is No Longer Available

Job Title:  Park Ranger (River Patrol)
Department:  Department Of The Interior
Agency:  Bureau of Land Management
Job Announcement Number:  BLMAK-13-828872-AV

This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.

The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
$34,204.00 to $44,461.00 / Per Year
Wednesday, January 23, 2013 to Wednesday, January 30, 2013
Full Time - Temporary NTE 1039 hours
Few vacancies in the following location:
Glennallen, AK United StatesView Map
United States Citizens


The BLM manages more land – 253 million acres – than any other Federal agency. This land, known as the National System of Public Lands, is primarily located in 12 Western states, including Alaska. The Bureau, with a budget of about $1 billion, also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estates throughout the nation. The BLM's multiple-use mission is to sustain the health and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.

For additional information about the BLM please visit BLM

This position is located in Glennallen, Alaska.  Information about locations within Alaska can be found at: Alaska

The work is temporary not-to-exceed 1,039 hours for the season (approximately six month) - work begins approximately early-April and can run to early-November. 


  • U.S. Citizenship is Required
  • Security Clearance/Background Investigation is required.
  • Be sure to read the "How to Apply" & "Required Documents" Sections
  • You cannot hold an active real estate license; nor can you
  • have an interest or hold stocks in firms with interest in Federal Land.
  • Direct Deposit Required.


Back to top

As a Park Ranger (River Patrol), you will:


  • Provide information and answer questions related to the wild and scenic river management plan river recreation programs
  • Staff river information portal at boat launches
  • Inform visitors of rules and regulations and take action to document and report prohibited or unsafe acts 
  • Assist in the maintenance of two national wild and scenic rivers including maintenance of portages and installed facilities
  • Collect data for issuance of commercial recreation use permits and perform compliance checks


Most of the work, about 80%, is performed outdoors. At times, the work will require carrying heavy equipment, walking over rough and mountainous terrain, recurring bending, crouching and stooping, and using rafts and canoes in whitewater.



For more information on the duties of this position contact the supervisor, Heath Emmons at (907) 822-7307


Back to top

Your resume must show the number of hours per week worked and the starting and ending dates of employment – month and year – (if the position was seasonal, the periods you worked)


For the GS-05 grade level, applicants must have at least 1 year of specialized experience that equipped me with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. To be creditable, this experience must have been equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to that of at least the GS-04 grade level in the federal service. Experience may have been in technical, administrative, or scientific work, fish and wildlife management, recreation management, law enforcement, or other park-related work. Examples of qualifying specialized experience includes but are not limited to the following: park guide or tour leader; law enforcement or investigative work; archeological or historical preservation research work; forestry and/or fire management work in a park, recreation, or conservation area; management, assistant, or program specialist work involving the development and implementation of policy related to protection, conservation, or management of park areas or similar operations.


Applicants must have successfully completed a full 4 year course (180 quarter or 120 semester hours) of study leading to a bachelor’s degree with major study or I have at least 24 semester hours in any combination of the following courses: natural resource management, natural sciences, earth sciences, history, archeology, anthropology, park and recreation management, law enforcement/police science, social sciences, museum sciences, business administration, public administration, behavioral sciences, sociology, or other closely related subjects pertinent to the management and protection of natural and cultural resources. Course work in fields other than those specified may be accepted if it clearly provides applicant with the background of knowledge and skills necessary for successful job performance in the position to be filled. You must submit a copy of your transcripts if you are using education to qualify. You must submit a copy of your transcripts if you are using education to qualify. 

Applicants must have an equivalent combination of specialized experience and education, as described above. To compute this, first determine your education as a percentage of the education requirement; add the two percentages. The total percentage must equal 100% to qualify.

You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. 


Upon receipt of your complete application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your rating will be based on your responses to the Job Specific Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. Answers submitted in the questionnaire must be supported on your resume. If qualified, your score may range from 70-100 points. If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:  Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Qualified.  Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.  In addition, interviews may be conducted for this position. The interviews may be conducted on a pass/fail basis or may be scored. The job specific questions relate to the following knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the work of this position.

  • Knowledge of programs, policies, and procedures relative to recreation management
  • Ability to collect and record recreation inventory data
  • Skills needed to direct or perform routine maintenance and stabilization work on portage structures and river facilities
  • Ability to operate and perform minor/routine field maintenance of rafts and canoes in order to maintain and patrol rivers


Back to top

The salary range given above includes base pay and locality pay, you will also receive a 7.18% cost of living allowance. This allowance is subject to annual review, adjustment and gradual decrease.


Travel and relocation expenses are not authorized. Travel, transportation and relocation expenses will not be paid by the Department of the Interior. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.


Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) and Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP):  ICTAP provides eligible displaced and CTAP provides eligible surplus and displaced Federal competitive service employees with selection priority over other candidates for competitive service vacancies.  If your agency has notified you in writing that you are a displaced employee eligible for ICTAP or CTAP consideration, you may receive selection priority if: 1) This vacancy is within your ICTAP or CTAP eligibility; 2) You apply under the instructions in this announcement; and 3) You are found well-qualified for this vacancy.  You must provide proof of eligibility with your application to receive selection priority.  Such proof may include a copy of your written notification of ICTAP or CTAP eligibility, or a copy of your separation personnel action form.  Information about ICTAP/CTAP eligibility is available from OPM's Career Transition Resources website at: career transition.


CTAP and ICTAP eligibles will be considered well qualified if they earn a minimum score of 85 on the rating criteria for this position.   


Travel in government aircraft; including small, fixed wing and helicopters over long distances in sometimes turbulent flying conditions to remote locations is required as a part of the duties of this position. If you have a private life insurance policy, travel in a government aircraft may affect the benefits payable in the event of an accident.



Back to top

We recommend you use the resume builder in USAJobs.

To begin click the Apply Online button and follow the prompts to register, answer a few questions, and submit all required documents.

To return to your saved application, log in to your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status. Click on the position title, and then select Apply Online to continue.

We strongly encourage you to apply online. If you cannot apply online, you may FAX your resume, assessment questionnaire, and supporting documents to (478) 757-3144. You must print a copy of OPM Form 1203-FX, document your responses to the assessment questionnaire View Occupational Questionnaire and use the official FAX coversheet found here. For both of these forms the vacancy identification number is: 828872


The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 pm Eastern Time or 7:59 pm Alaska Time on Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Who Can I Contact if I Have a Question?

If you have questions about this announcement or the application process, contactAnnyn Vanderlooven at (907)271-2455 or toll free at (888) 859-4183. Reference the title Park Ranger (River Patrol) and/or the vacancy announcement number BLMAK-13-828872-AV.


In addition to the online application (resume and responses to the questionnaire), you are required to submit the following forms:

  • Copy of Transcripts (official or unofficial) or a list of college courses that include hours and grades from an accredited college/university (if applicable)
  • Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) eligibles: documentation verifying your CTAP/ICTAP eligibility - this includes a copy of the agency notice and your most recent SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location, if applicable.
  • Veterans' Preference:  If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you should indicate the level of veterans' preference you are claiming on your resume.  Your veterans' preference entitlement will be adjudicated (verified) by the employing agency using the documents you provide.  If documents supporting veterans' preference are not received, then veterans' preference will not be given.


For 5-point veterans' preference, provide your DD-214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty), official statement of service from your command if you are currently on active duty, or other official documentation (e.g., documentation of receipt of a campaign badge or expeditionary medal) that proves your military service was performed under honorable conditions.


For 10-point veterans' preference, submit a Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, DD-214, and the required documentation.  Hard copy application materials, submitted without prior Human Resources approval, will be considered as an incomplete application. If the required documents are not submitted your application may be considered incomplete. 


NOTE: There is a 10 page limit on each type of document that is faxed; information on excess pages will be lost. There is no limit on the number of pages when submitting online.


Annyn Vanderlooven
Phone: (907)271-2455
Agency Information:
Bureau of Land Mgmt Alaska
222 West 7th Ave 13
Anchorage, AK


Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgment email that your submission was successful. After a review of your complete application is made you will be notified of your rating and or referral to the hiring official. If further evaluation or interviews are required you will be contacted.

Back to top
EEO Policy Statement | Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement | Veterans Information | Legal and Regulatory Guidance