This position is located in the Medical Evaluation Branch, Mariner Evaluation Division of the Coast Guard's National Maritime Center (NMC). The NMC manages the Merchant Mariner Licensing and Documentation (MLD) program and is responsible for implementing policies related to one of more missions of the United States Coast Guard. The incumbent serves as a medical officer and an authority in determination of medical suitability of merchant mariner applicants, which is essential to the success of the Coast Guard's mission of ensuring the safe operation of commercial vessels.
Being a Coast Guard civilian makes you a valuable member of the Coast Guard team. Typical work assignments include:
* Planning work to be carried out by subordinates.
* Setting and adjusting short-term priorities.
* Assigning work to subordinates.
* Providing advice, counsel, or instruction to employees on both work and administrative matters.
* Hearing and resolving complaints.
* Identifying developmental and training needs of employees, and providing or arranging for needed development and training. Subject Matter responsibilities include:
* Performing and ensuring the consistency and accuracy of agency medical fitness for duty evaluations conducted by medical evaluation personnel.
* Conducting second level physician reviews of medical evaluations to confirm the approval or denial of a medical waiver.
* Preparing agency responses to requests for reconsideration or appeals of medical fitness for duty evaluations.
* Overseeing the implementation of rules, regulations, guidance, and policy relative to the evaluation of merchant mariners.
* Provides consultative services to occupational medicine physicians conducting merchant mariner physical examinations.
* Provides testimony at hearings and/or in civil court cases as an expert witness involving credentialed mariners.