Job Title:Equipment and Facilities Specialist
Department:General Services Administration
Agency:Public Buildings Service
Job Announcement Number:1310006KCDE
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Thursday, January 17, 2013 to
Wednesday, January 30, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Seattle, WA, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island).|
You may have heard GSA called 'the government's landlord', but GSA is about more than just buildings...We're a vehicle management and acquisition service...a real estate manager...an IT solutions provider...a global supply chain manager...and more! GSA provides innovative solutions for Federal agencies that include products, services, workspace, and expertise to build a more high-performing, efficient, sustainable, and transparent government for the American people. And, since our jobs are as diverse as the services we provide, GSA is a great place to start, build, and expand your career.
GSA has been repeatedly named by the Partnership for Public Service as one of the 'Best Places to Work in the Federal Government'.
As an Equipment and Facilities Specialist, you will provide insight, guidance and technical assessments in the development, application and interpretation of varied system and equipment maintenance and operations for buildings in the GSA inventory. This position is located in the Public Buildings Service, Puget Sound Service Center, in Seattle, Washington.
GSA offers its employees a wide range of benefits including:
- Federal health insurance plans (choose from a wide range of plans)
- Life insurance coverage with several options to choose from
- Leave policies to help you take care of your personal, recreational, and health care needs
- Thrift Savings Plan (similar to a 401(k) plan)
- Flexible work schedules and telework
- Transit and child care subsidies
- Training and development
NOTE: This is a readvertisement of vacancy announcement #1310002KCDE. Previous applicants must apply to this announcement in order to be considered for this position.
This vacancy is also being announced as Vacancy Announcement Number 1310005KCMP under Merit Promotion regulations. Please review that announcement to see if you are eligible for consideration under Merit Promotion Procedures. Note: You must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered under both procedures.
- U.S. Citizenship or National
- Apply online (See How to Apply section.)
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Equipment and Facilities Specialist, you will:
- Operate and maintain buildings that implement sustainable practices and reduce environmental impact.
- Evaluate and/or recommend maintenance and repairs of building equipment, and develop work specifications and cost estimates.
- Serve as the Contracting Officer's Representative for various contracts (i.e., O&M, FM, custodial, or CFM).
- Analyze electronic instrumentation and building control systems to monitor and record performance profiles for mechanical systems.
- Inspect building systems and components to ensure proper working condition and make recommendations to improve effectiveness and/or reduce operating costs.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
The GS-12 salary range starts at $73,420 per year, if you meet the following qualifications. You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement.
To qualify, you must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-11 level in Federal service. Specialized experience is experience in planning and organizing the daily operations and maintenance of commercial and high performance multi-tenant green buildings. This experience must include: HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems; maintaining energy and sustainability goals; operation and minor programming of state-of-the-art smart building technology. Experience must also include contract oversight and inspection of maintenance and repairs for mechanical equipment; developing project requirements, scope, and standards for equipment replacement projects; and green landscaping.
There is no educational substitution to meet the specialized experience requirement described under "Qualifications".
- If selected, you must meet the following conditions:
- Serve a one year probationary period (unless you have previously satisfied this requirement).
- Be able to make a direct deposit of your salary check to a financial organization.
- Males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service.
- Complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment" (OF-306) to determine suitability for Federal employment.
- Undergo a background security investigation and receive a favorable adjudication.
- If you are not a current GSA employee, you must complete the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 to determine identity and employment (work status) eligibility. GSA will verify the information through the DHS e-Verify automated system. Any identified discrepancies must be resolved as a condition of continued employment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
The Category Rating procedure is being used to rate candidates. If you are found qualified for the position, your responses to the self assessment vacancy questions will be used to place you in one of the following categories: Qualified, Well Qualified, Best Qualified. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be supported by your resume or the Human Resources Specialist may adjust your responses lower. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. Appropriate documentation must be received to adjudicate veterans' preference.
You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Knowledge, skill and ability to operate a high-performing green building, including ability to use information technology as it relates to building operating controls.
- Ability to develop and/or review project scopes and cost estimates for the maintenance and repair of building systems and equipment.
- General knowledge of contract administration and procurement practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of qualitative and quantitative techniques to analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of building operations and mechanical equipment/systems.
- Ability to develop and recommend modifications to operations and maintenance of building systems/equipment in order to reduce costs and improve efficiency.
A variety of assessments/assessment tools may be used to evaluate candidates for specific vacancies covered by this announcement. Candidates will be notified when further assessments are implemented and provided with instructions on how to access and complete the assessment(s). Be sure to APPLY EARLY as most assessments must be completed fully and submitted before the announcement closing. To preview questions please click here.
If you are an Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan eligible or a GSA Career Transition Assistance eligible, you must be considered well qualified (minimum score of 85) to receive priority. ICTAP/CTAP
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application including any required documents prior to 11:59 pm Eastern Time on the closing date of the Announcement. Errors or omissions may result in your not being considered for this vacancy. For information on applying for a GSA vacancy, please visit Applying for a GSA Job
We will only consider applications submitted through the online process listed below unless an exception has been approved by a representative of the HR Office listed on this announcement. A description of the online process is provided below:
- Select the "Apply Online" button. Log on to OPM's USAJOBS to access your existing resume or to create a new one.
- From your account, select which resume you wish to submit. You also have the option of attaching any required documents saved in your USAJOBS account. Click "Apply for this Position Now!"
- You will be redirected to GSA's automated system, GSAjobs. First time users will be asked to respond to "Account Creation" questions. If you are a return GSAjobs user, click the links on the left to review and update any necessary profile information before continuing on with the application process.
- You will be prompted to respond to "Eligibility Questions" which will be used to determine your eligibility to apply for various types of vacancies. If you are a return user, these fields will pre-populate with your previous responses. Please review and make any necessary changes before proceeding.
- Next, you will be asked to respond to vacancy specific questions regarding your qualifications and the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or other competencies required to successfully perform this position.
- Submit any required documents (see below). A "Vacancy Documents" page is automatically displayed by the GSAjobs system. Most documents become part of your permanent electronic file and you need to submit them only once unless you wish to update. You can view the Description column next to each form to determine if a previously submitted document is on file. For each document you must submit, select one of the following options in the "Action" column:
- "Upload" - Using the Document Manager, upload document (.gif, .jpeg, .png, .rtf, .pdf, and .doc format only) directly from your computer;
- "USAJOBS" - Using the Document Manager, download a document you previously attached from your USAJOBS account for this vacancy.
- "FAX" - Print the Fax Cover Sheet, then fax cover sheet and document(s) to the listed phone number. We strongly recommend you read the "Fax Instructions" provided on the Document Manager page prior to printing the Fax Cover Sheet and faxing your information.
- At this point, if you are determined to be qualified for the position based upon your previous responses, additional assessment questions may be presented.
- Finally, you'll receive an Application Review Page which allows you to review the information that will be submitted. You can save a copy of your application by selecting the 'Save PDF' button. Then, YOU MUST CLICK THE 'FINISH' BUTTON to submit your application.
If you cannot complete any part of the application process listed above, contact the Human Resources Office/representative listed on the announcement prior to the announcement deadline for instructions on how to proceed. Be sure to receive prior HR approval to deviate from these instructions so that your application will be considered.
Please review the following to determine which documents you must submit in order to complete your application.
ICTAP/CTAP Eligibles: Submit proof of eligibility including agency notice; SF-50, Notification of Personnel Action (or similar agency form); and most recent performance rating.
Veterans: In order to be considered as a 5-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty (member 4 copy). If you are claiming 10-point preference, you must submit the following in addition to the DD-214: (1) completed SF-15 form; and (2) proof of your entitlement to this preference. A list of documents which serve as acceptable proof of entitlement is indicated on the SF-15 form.
Active Duty Military Personnel - In lieu of the DD-214, active duty service members may submit a written document from the armed forces certifying that they expect to be discharged or released under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
College Transcripts: Submit a photocopy of your college transcript(s) if the qualifications for this announcement have an education requirement, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements. If slected, an official/sealed transcript will be required prior to appointment. For education completed outside the United States, also submit a valid foreign credential evaluation that substantiates possession of the required education. See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
If your application is complete, we will review your application to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will further evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies required of the position. Candidates in the highest quality category will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability and/or security background investigation. A final job offer for this position is typically made within 40 days after the deadline for applications.
Thank you for your interest in working for U.S. General Services Administration!