· Provide technical expertise and guidance to all assigned team members, especially on matters pertaining to regulations, policies, and procedures governing formula funds and the administration of high priority research, education, and extension grants at qualified areas.
· Work with the Branch Chief in establishing priorities, procedures, and deadlines concerning the negotiation, execution, and post-administration of the agreements and special projects by the Branch.
· Negotiate, execute and administer certain research, education, and extension formula grants under the broad authorities contained in the enabling legislation and the annual appropriations act.
· Identify, analyze and resolve complex problems regarding administrative and legal requirements and budgetary issues; and obtains agreement on the arrangements between the potential and NIFA prior to making an award.
· Ensure all project costs are reasonable, allowable, and allocable in accordance with applicable cost principles and statutes. Develops and incorporates into award instrument special terms and conditions needed for award administration.
· Serve as a resource for analyzing and reviewing recommendations of the specialists and assuring compliance by recipients on award terms and conditions. Assesses the analyses of the situation for non-compliance and makes recommendations for adjusting or terminating awards.
· Serve as resource in the resolution of adverse audit findings; and analyzes and makes recommendations to recover funds or initiate alternative action(s) determined to be in the best interest of the public, USDA, programmatic goals, and long-term associations.
· Work with National Program Leaders (NPLs) and scientists in program implementation alternatives and administering complex agreements and projects for the support of extramural activities.
· Interpret and communicate established policies and procedures to personnel on all levels both within and outside of NIFA (i.e. NPLs and scientists within NIFA as well as the recipient level; fiscal and administrative staff within the recipient organization, high-level management officials at the State and Agency levels; and officials at other Federal agencies.)