To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
A. Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or related disciplines appropriate to the position.
B. Combination of education and experience – courses equivalent to a major, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Degree in one of the basic animal sciences or physiology; or a related discipline or field of science that included at least 24 semester hours in the basic animal sciences, of which 10 semester hours were in animal physiology.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE BASIC REQUIREMENT LISTED ABOVE: Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-12: Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in wildlife biology, wildlife management, wildlife ecology, zoology, biology, ecology, physiology, comparative biochemistry, or other related field.
THERE IS NO EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION FOR THE GS-13 GRADE LEVEL.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- This position requires specific coursework or a degree in a specific field to be basically qualified.
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-12/13 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Planning and conducting wildlife contraceptive studies and wildlife damage management in order to provide tools, information, and solutions to wildlife management.
- Using information learned in contemporary high-level college classes related to ecology, biology, statistics, mathematics, and/or modeling to design studies, further the scientific process, and produce new knowledge.
- Conducting research studies using scientific principles, analyzing results, and communicating the research through professional publications or scientific presentations.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-12 GRADE LEVEL
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Professional and Scientific Positions
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one-year probationary period.
- Valid state driver’s license required at time of hiring.
- Transcripts must be submitted for this position.
- This is an interdisciplinary position and may be filled in any of the job series/position titles listed. In addition to the specialized experience requirements, applicants must submit proof that they meet the educational requirements for at least one of the series described in the announcement. Applicants may only be appointed to job series/position titles for which they meet all experience and educational requirements.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Supervisory Competencies – Accountability, Conflict Management, Developing Others, Human Capital Management, Other (Ability to lead and present scientific findings for a research project)
- Ability to conceive, develop, and conduct research with a variety of species in accordance with the scientific method
- Knowledge and experience in vertebrate biology, reproductive physiology, immunology, virology, microbiology
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, techniques, and regulatory controls governing research, development, and registration of wildlife damage management materials
- Ability to develop and manage research projects to resolve crop damage and/or nuisance, health, and/or safety problems caused by birds and other animals
- Skill in using a wide variety of laboratory instrumentation and techniques, such as western blot and ELISA, associated with the research disciplines
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- An automated scoring system will be used to initially rate your application based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses. Based on your responses, you may be invited to participate in a structured interview.
- Your final category placement will be based on your cumulative score from the structured interview and/or assessment questionnaire.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.