SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR: The following Selective Placement factor has been determined to be essential for the position. Candidate must show possession of this factor in order to be minimally qualified: Must possess and maintain a current, active, and unrestricted Certification as a Physician Assistant from the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
The following shows the amounts of education and/or experience required to qualify for positions covered by the standard.
INDIVIDUAL OCCUPATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
Series Definition: This series covers positions that involve assisting a physician by providing diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services under the guidance of the physician. The work requires knowledge of specific observation and examination procedures, and the ability to perform diagnostic and therapeutic tasks. The work does not include the full scope of interpretation of medical findings requiring the full professional background of the licensed physician. Physician assistants assist in the examination and observation of patients by performing such duties as taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies during hospital rounds and clinic visits. As directed by a physician, physician assistants carry out special procedures; for example, they give injections or other medication, apply or change dressing, perform lumbar punctures, or suture minor lacerations.
All applicants must meet the following basic requirements for all grade levels:
· Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university, or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
· Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
Education and Experience Requirements: Applicants who meet the above basic requirements may qualify for the following grade levels if they meet the educational and/or specialized experience requirements described below.
GS-11: Applicants who meet at least one of the following requirements qualify for positions at this grade level:
· A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-09 grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program as described above; OR
· PhD or equivalent doctoral degree in a related health field and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Examples of related doctoral degree programs include, but are not limited to, public health; allied health field; public health education; or other related health science.
GS-12: A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the next lower grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program is required.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels and positions for which both education and experience are acceptable.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-11 GRADE LEVEL: Is work involving assessing, diagnosis and treatment of minor illnesses, managing chronic health problems, primary care for trauma cases including suturing, conducting physical examinations, emergency care, providing counseling and health instructions to patients and families, and ability to documents care in patient record, Experience identifying medical problems and determining appropriate action to treat the problem, including referral to a physician; performing specified diagnostic and therapeutic practices and procedures; providing a wide range of emergency services in the absence of the physicians, including primary care for trauma and life-saving procedures.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE FOR GS-12 GRADE LEVEL: Is work involving providing direct and comprehensive primary, preventative and therapeutic medical and/or nursing care for patients as well as assisting other health professionals develop treatment protocols and standard policies and procedures, performs or requests special screening and developmental tests and laboratory tests and interprets results, evaluates the nursing and medical aspects of care plans periodically, recognizing the need for reassessment by a physician or health professional.
Positive Education Requirements: This position has specific educational requirements. To qualify for this position, you MUST possess the required education as noted under qualifications.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program. For further information, click on http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENT: Federal status applicants must have completed at least 52 weeks of service in a position no more than one grade lower than the position to be filled. This is usually is used in reference to the length of time needed to satisfy the promotion requirements of the next highest level. If selected under the Excepted Service Examining Plan, individuals may be appointed without regard to time-in-grade requirements.
NOTE: Your education and work experience may be combined to meet the qualification requirements of this position. IF selected and you are qualified based on education you MUST provide an official transcript. (SEE QUALIFICATIONS)
You must meet the requirements of the job by "Midnight Eastern Standard Time" on the closing date of this vacancy: Wednesday, January 30, 2013
You must provide the required information during the online application process; if any of the following are missing when the announcement closes we will deem your application incomplete:
1. Resume complete in USAJOBS
2. Responses to Questionnaire
3. Applicable Supporting Documentation (see Required documents section in this announcement for more details)
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant personal, educational, and work experiences.
Based on the results of this evaluation, you will be placed in one of three quality categories:
· Best Qualified Category -- Meet the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most requirements of the position
· Well Qualified Category -- Meets the minimum qualifications requirements and meets most requirements of the position.
· Qualified Category -- Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but do not possess the relevant competencies to a substantive degree.
· Names of candidates in the Best Qualified Category will be sent to the Hiring Manager for employment consideration.
If you are entitled to veterans' preference, you should indicate the type of veteran's preference you are claiming on your resume, and ensure you submit the appropriate documentation prior to the closing date. If you are entitled to veterans' preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed above qualified non-preference eligibles in your assigned category. Qualified veterans' preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on the position and grade level of the job.
For information on entitlement, VISIT: www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
For I/CTAP purposes, you will be deemed well-qualified if you are placed in at least the well-qualified category.