Job Title:Information Technology Specialist (Applications Software)
Agency:Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
Job Announcement Number:13-OFB-827427
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, June 24, 2013 to
Tuesday, July 09, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
Excepted Service Term NTE Five Years|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington DC, DC United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This vacancy is open to current employees of the Federal Judiciary (AO or U.S. Courts) and applicants who live in the Washington, DC commuting area.|
The Administrative Office (AO), an agency of the Judicial Branch of the Federal government, is committed to serving and supporting the Federal court system of the United States. The AO provides a broad range of legislative, legal, financial, technology, management, administrative and program support services to the Federal courts.
AO positions are classified and paid under a broad-banded system with the exception of positions in the AO Executive Service. Salary is commensurate with experience. Most AO employees are eligible for full Federal and Judiciary benefits.
The AO is committed to attracting the best and brightest applicants in our support of the Third Branch of government. We take pride in serving the Judicial Branch and supporting its mission to provide equal justice under law.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- Selectees may be subject to a one-year trial period.
- Selectee must favorably complete a background investigation.
- All requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
DUTIES:Back to top
This position is located in the Office of Finance and Budget (OFB), Accounting and Financial Systems Division (AFSD), Financial Technology Branch (FTB), Technical Modification and Implementation Section (TMIS). The role of TMIS is to oversee the technical aspects of the project development life cycle and implementation support of current and future OFB initiatives. The TMIS has the technical responsibilities over product development, process improvement and modification, implementation, conversions and upgrades of the financial systems for AFSD and the Courts.
This position will be responsible for a stand-alone desktop application called the Payroll Projection System (PPS) which is written in Visual Basic (VB) and is used across the courts as a budget and planning tool. The Federal Judiciary has embarked into a multi-year effort to merge and upgrade 95 separate financial systems into one. As part of this effort a budget tool will be developed to replace the existing PPS desktop application. However, until that new tool is in place, PPS will require updates and releases over the next several years.
The incumbent of this position will serve as the senior programmer on PPS and will support the Judiciary's effort to enhance, upgrade, and support the PPS desktop application. Work in this position involves all aspects of the Software Development Life Cycle, to include design, documentation, development, modification, testing, installation, implementation, and support of the PPS application software and processes. The incumbent shall be an expert is VB programming and have a working knowledge of .NET, and web services.
In addition, the developer chosen for this position will be part of a continuous improvement team who will be assessing financial processes and developing automation , interfaces, reports, and other integrations in order to improve financial management. Knowledge of CGI Momentum, Business Objects, ColdFusion, and JBOSS a plus but not required.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Gathering, analyzing and refining PPS requirements;
- Translating requirements into applications prototypes;
- Writing, debugging, and maintaining PPS VisualBasic code;
- Working with a variety of customers and stakeholders at all levels of operations and management to achieve the goals of the organization;
- Assuring software and systems quality and functionality;
- Writing and maintaining program documentation;
- Ensuring the rigorous application of information security/ information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the delivery of application software services;
- Assisting with the transition of PPS into a new Budgeting solution yet to be identified; and
- Working as a member of a development team and leveraging other products and tools to automate processes and develop interfaces, reports, and integrations in order to improve financial management.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Applicants must have demonstrated experience as listed below. This requirement is according to the AO Classification, Compensation, and Recruitment Systems which include interpretive guidance and reference to the OPM Operating Manual for Qualification Standards for General Schedule Positions.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience which is in or directly related to the line of work of this position. Specialized experience is directly related work experience in the following areas:
- Gathering, analyzing and refining application requirements.
- Writing, debugging, and maintaining VisualBasic code.
- Writing and maintaining program documentation.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Applicants are advised that false answers or omissions of information on any application materials or inability to meet the following conditions may be grounds for nonselection, withdrawal of an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.
- All information is subject to verification.
- Selection for this position is contingent upon completion of OF-306, Declaration for Federal Employment during the pre-employment process.
- Selection for this position is contingent upon proof of U.S. citizenship or, for noncitizens, proof of authorization to work in the United States plus proof of entitlement to receive compensation. Additional information and guidance on the employment of non-citizens can be found at: http://www.usajobs.gov/ei/noncitizensemployment.asp. For a list of documents that may be used to provide proof of citizenship or authorization to work in the United States, please refer to Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, available at http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf.
- If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all selectees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if selected, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time.
- All new employees of the AO must identify a financial institution for direct deposit of pay before appointment.
- If selected for first-time appointment to the Federal government, you may be required to serve a trial period. Failure to complete successfully the trial period may result in termination of employment.
- If selected for a supervisory or managerial position, you may be required to serve a probationary period. Failure to complete successfully the probationary period can result in return to a position comparable to the one held immediately before upervisory assignment, or if you were not a Federal employee before the assignment, then you may be moved to a position one level below the supervisory position. An employee serving a trial period may be removed from employment under provisions of the AO's trial period policy.
- If this position is temporary, management may have the discretion of converting this position to a permanent position depending upon funding and staffing allocation.
- Relocation expenses may be provided, but only if specifically authorized by the Director of the AO.
- The selectee of this position may be assigned to an official duty station within or outside the Washington DC metro area. Accordingly, pay will be set based on the locality area/official duty station assigned.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume and supporting documentation and compare this information to your responses on the occupational questionnaire to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for this job. If you meet the minimum qualifications for this job, we will evaluate your application package, to assess the quality, depth, and complexity of your accomplishments, experience, and education as they relate to the requirements listed in this vacancy announcement.
You should be aware that your ratings are subject to evaluation and verification. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your resume and/or narrative responses, you will be assigned a rating commensurate to your described experience. Failure to submit the mandatory narrative responses will result in not receiving full consideration and/or rating credit. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you, withdrawing an offer of employment, or dismissal after being employed.