GS-12: You qualify at the GS-12 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-11 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. You must have experience performing the following duties:
- Researching data and preparing documents to effectively transmit information about complex Immigration programs and ensure that the desired emphasis is conveyed.
- Writing or editing materials tailored to specific Spanish speaking countries in order to promote a thorough understanding of the subject.
- Assisting with the translation of a wide variety of communication materials including news releases, presentation materials, web pages, and blog posts from English to Spanish.
GS-13: You qualify at the GS-13 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. In addition to the requirements of the lower grade level, you must also have experience performing the following duties:
- Developing authoritative information using application of principles, methods and knowledge of written communication through the effective use of grammar, spelling, punctuation, format and editorial markings.
- Developing highly complex and technical speeches and other authoritative, accurate written information on the programs, policies, goals, priorities, and function of an agency and its relationships with other organizations, and current issues facing the organizations.
- Translating a wide variety of complex, technical communication materials including news releases, presentation materials, legal documents, policy memos, web pages, and blog posts from English to Spanish.
GS-14: You qualify at the GS-14 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the federal government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. In addition to the requirements of the lower grade level, you must also have experience performing the following duties:
- Researching topics and preparing highly complex, technical and controversial speeches for senior officials to effectively convey sensitive information concerning complex subjects and programs to ensure that the desired emphasis is conveyed to varied audiences.
- Independently writing or editing materials tailored to specific audiences in order to promote a thorough understanding of highly complex, technical subjects within the agency.
- Performing Quality Assurance on other writers' written content in the Spanish Language.
Education Substitution: There is no educational substitution at these grade levels.
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (Monday, January 28, 2013).
Selective Placement Factor: Must be proficient in the Spanish Language.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will place you in one of three categories based on your responses to the on-line questionnaire regarding experience, education and training.
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- SPANISH PROFICIENCY
- CULTURAL KNOWLEDGE
- TRANSLATION ABILITIES
- BILINGUAL PROFICIENCY LEVEL
- WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click here View Assessment Questions
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPMs Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans preference, please click here.