In order to qualify for this position, you must meet BOTH the Basic qualification requirement and the Specialized experience requirement stated below.
I. BASIC QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENT:
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (Must include copy of transcripts as stated under "Education")
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law; (Must include copy of transcripts as stated under "Education")
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; (Must include copy of certificate)
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A., provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level (GS-14) in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; and (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements. (Must include copy of transcripts as stated under "Education")
II. SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENT:
You must have at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 grade level, or equivalent pay band, in the Federal Service. Specialized experience is defined as experience that is in, or directly related to, the work of the position being filled. To be creditable, your specialized experience must demonstrate that it is comparable to the GS-12 grade level indicated. Your specialized experience must include: supervising and/or managing an organization's accounting program and its systems, including engaging in systematic program planning and assessment; revising or adapting accounting systems; operating and updating accounting systems; and advising management officials on the full scope of professional accounting aspects of the organization's accounting operations.
Your specialized experience may have been obtained in the private or public sector, and it must have equipped you with the particular KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (KSAs) necessary to successfully perform the duties of this position. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following KSAs, and your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your stated level of possession of them. (1) Knowledge of and skill in professional accounting principles, processes and standards; (2) Knowledge of proprietary/accrual and budgetary accounting; (3) Knowledge of auditing processes and procedures sufficient to run internal management controls; (4) Skill in and ability to supervise other professional accountants and/or auditors; (5) Knowledge of finance and accounting systems specifications and requirements; (6) Ability to develop, document and implement accounting procedures.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid work on the same basis as for paid experience. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of time actually spent in appropriate activities. To receive credit for such experience you must indicate clearly the nature of the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the number of hours per week spent in such employment.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
YOUR RESUME MUST HAVE COMPLETE INFORMATION: Please ensure your resume accurately reflects the duties and responsibilities for each position you have held with each employer. It is your responsibility to make sure your resume states complete information (beginning and ending dates of employment stated as MM/YYYY; duties performed; and total hours worked per week) for each job entry. If your resume does not provide enough information regarding your work history for us to make a creditable qualification determination, your application package may be rendered disqualified and you will no longer be considered for this position.
If you are using your education to qualify for any part of the Basic Requirement, transcripts are required at the time of application to verify that you meet the educational requirement or substitution. Education must be accredited by an accredited institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accredited institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
*** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must submit a Certificate of Foreign Equivalence with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.***
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
1. Completion of a Confidential Statement of Employment/Financial interests is required, if selected.
2. A copy of college transcripts is required.
3. A copy of your CPA/CIA certificate is required, if applicable.
4. Must be able to obtain and maintain a background security investigation of Public Trust.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
CATEGORY RATING: Your application will be evaluated and rated under Category Rating selection procedures. Once the application process is complete, a review of resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The quality categories are: 1) Best Qualified, 2) Well Qualified and 3) Qualified.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities or Competencies:
(1) Knowledge of and skill in professional accounting principles, processes and standards;
(2) Knowledge of proprietary/accrual and budgetary accounting;
(3) Knowledge of auditing processes and procedures sufficient to run internal management controls;
(4) Skill in and ability to supervise other professional accountants and/or auditors;
(5) Knowledge of finance and accounting systems specifications and requirements;
(6) Ability to develop, document and implement accounting procedures.
Your rating will be based on both your entire application package as well as the responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please note that if, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your category rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may lose consideration for this position.
The Category Rating Process does not add veterans preference points or apply the rule of three, but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 per cent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher).