Job Title:IT Specialist
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Office of the Chief Information Officer
Job Announcement Number:13-ITS-033P
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, January 14, 2013 to
Monday, January 21, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy -
Saint Louis, MO, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|U.S. citizens; no prior Federal experience is required. Current permanent Federal employees with competitive status, former Federal employees who have reinstatement eligibility, and individuals who are eligible under special appointing authorities may wish to apply under 13-ITS-024A.|
There is one vacancy available in the following duty location: St. Louis, MO. This vacancy is located in the Infrastructure Operations Division, Applications Operations Branch.
International Technology Services (ITS) is an organization within the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Office of the Chief information Officer (OCIO). Its prime directive is to meet the business needs of service center agencies within the USDA by providing outstanding customer service in the form of infrastructure support, as well as assistance in the field of information technology. Among the many services provided by ITS are hardware/software acquisition, infrastructure security operations and management, telecommunications, and help desk support. As the field of information technology continues its rapid growth into the 21st Century, ITS utilizes state-of-the-art methods and technology, and offers excellent career opportunities in several locations throughout the country.
- ITS offers alternative, flexible, and telework schedules for eligible positions.
- Click "Print Preview" to review the entire announcement before applying.
DUTIES:Back to top
As an IT Specialist, you will:
- Serve as technical expert for one of the following operating systems: Unix, Sun, Linux, or Windows;
- Provide technical support for the integration of new applications, implementation of new common services, and any large scale or enterprise projects;
- Perform system administration on test/development Windows and Unix-based web farm servers, as well as centralized infrastructure site servers and servers hosting non-web applications located in various hosting sites and environments;
- Interface with developers to place applications properly into Hosting environments to ensure conformity with applicable security requirements and service level agreements;
- Work with applications owners in designing and implementing adequate application architecture to integrate into the hosting environment for optimum security and performance, and to meet business needs;
- Prepare and present status reports; and
- Perform change management duties, including preparing requests for change (RFCs) for the review of the Change Control Board. Ensures applicable requirements are followed.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must meet the following requirements by the closing date of the announcement:
Minimum Qualification Requirement:
For GS-12 level: You must have one year of experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service. Experience for this position includes providing applications integration support with responsibility for maintaining, updating, and documenting changes on infrastructure common services and application servers/components within an enterprise data center.
In addition to meeting specialized experience, applicants must also show proficiency in 1) attention to detail, 2) customer service, 3) oral communication, and 4) problem solving.
Notes: The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
- Responses to the online questions, and
- Required supporting documents. If required supporting documents are omitted without explanation you will be rated ineligible.
We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
1. Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You will be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we will rate you as ineligible.
Your application will be evaluated in the following areas:
- Knowledge of various operating systems including Unix, Sun, Linux, and Windows, including knowledge of general networking architecture.
- Ability to provide administration on test/development Windows and Unix-based web farm servers; remote support of infrastructure site servers; and remote support of servers hosting non-web applications located in all hosting sites and environments.
- Ability to diagnose, troubleshoot, resolve problems, and capture changes/resolutions to update support documentations.
- Ability to identify complex problems; determine accuracy and relevance of information; use sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives; and to make recommendations.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing to provide advice and assistance, prepare documentation, and maintain liaison with other IT staff and customers.
- Knowledge of change management methods and best practices in an IT environment.
Your application will be rated based on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of this position. We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
3. Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application will be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must receive a rating of at least 85 out 100 to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
The following instructions outline our application process. You must complete this application process and submit any required documents by 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time (ET) on the closing date of this announcement. We are available to assist you during business hours (normally 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday - Friday). If applying online poses a hardship, please contact us by noon ET on the announcement's closing date.
If you are experiencing system issues with your application, please contact the CareerConnector Help Desk at email@example.com and/or the USAJobs Help Desk.
ITS provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities on a case-by-case basis. Please contact us if you require this for any part of the application and hiring process.
Step 1 - Create or Upload a Resume with USAJOBS (www.usajobs.gov) We recommend you go to the end of the Qualifications & Evaluations section of the job announcement to preview the online questions that you will answer. You may need to customize your resume to ensure that it supports your responses to these questions. See Resume Tips.
Step 2 - Apply Online Click "Apply Online." You will be directed to USAJOBS where you must select a resume. If you have documents uploaded to USAJOBS, you may select those you wish to submit as well. After selecting a resume (and documents, if applicable), click "Apply for this position now!" and follow the prompts to register (if you haven't already done so), answer the online questions, and submit all required documents. You will have the opportunity to submit documents via 3 different options: 1) download from USAJOBS, 2) upload from your computer, or 3) fax. You can update your application or documents anytime while the announcement is open. To do so, log into your USAJOBS account and click on "Application Status." Click on the position title, and then select "Apply Online" to continue.
Please note that if you do not provide all required information, as specified in this announcement, you may lose consideration for this position (or lose the special consideration for which you may be eligible).
Veterans' Preference Documentation
CTAP/ICTAP Proof Of Eligibility
If you are applying through VEOA, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD-214 (Member 4 copy), or other official documentation from a branch of the Armed Forces or the Department of Veterans Affairs showing dates of service and type of discharge. Ten-point preference eligibles must also submit an Application for 10-point Veteran Preference, SF-15, along with the required documentation listed on the back of the SF-15 form.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP) or Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must submit proof of eligibility. For a detailed explanation and list of required documents, click here
In addition, we recommend that you submit the following:
OF 306 Declaration for Federal Employment
Performance Appraisal A copy of your most recent completed annual performance appraisal, dated within the 18 months, that includes the final rating
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto the USAJOBS "My Account" tab and clicking on "Application Status". We also recommend you opt to receive status change emails through USAJOBS by logging into "Notification Settings." Please notify us if your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement. Also, note that if you provide an email address that is inaccurate, or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam blocker), you may not receive important communication that could affect your consideration for this position.