Job Title:Lead Information Technology Specialist-DEU
Agency:Federal Trade Commission
Job Announcement Number:BCP-PI-2013-0011
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, January 11, 2013 to
Friday, February 01, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Competitive service -
This is a permanent appointment.|
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
District Of Columbia County, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|All Qualified Candidates|
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) enforces a variety of federal antitrust and consumer protection laws. The Commission seeks to ensure that the nation's markets function competitively and are vigorous, efficient, and free of undue restrictions. The Commission also works to enhance the smooth operation of the marketplace by eliminating acts or practices that are unfair or deceptive. Finally, the Commission undertakes economic analysis to support its law enforcement efforts and to contribute to the policy deliberations of the Congress, the Executive Branch, other independent agencies, and state and local governments when requested.
This position is located in the Bureau of Consumer Protection (BCP), Division of Planning and Information. The Bureau enforces a variety of consumer protection laws enacted by Congress, as well as trade regulation rules issued by the Commission. Its actions include individual company and industry-wide investigations, administrative and federal court litigation, rulemaking proceedings, and consumer and business education. In addition, the Bureau contributes to the Commission's on-going efforts to inform Congress and other government entities of the impact that proposed actions could have on consumers.
If you would like to be considered under Merit Promotion procedures, please apply to vacancy announcement #BCP-PI-2012-0034
- This position requires U.S. citizenship.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship.
- This position is not included in the bargaining unit.
- You may be required to serve a one year probationary period.
DUTIES:Back to top
The employee is the Lead IT Specialist of the Internet Lab team. The employee is responsible for the following duties:
- As a Team Lead, the employee is responsible for ensuring that the organization's strategic plan, mission, vision and values are communicated and integrated into the team's strategies, goals, objectives, and work; communicates to the team milestones. Leads the team in identifying, distributing, and balancing workload among employees; arranges for team member training; monitors and reports on the status and progress of the following work.
- Designs and maintains the infrastructure of the Internet Lab. Identifies and specifies hardware, software, and services needed for operations within each location and for interconnection of the locations.
- Administers VPN accounts, privileges and roles for internal and external users. Leads technical support and training. Coordinates and meets with the staff of the FTC’s Office of the Chief Information Officer (OCIO) on ways to enhance database operations. Participates in network and system design with OCIO security staff to ensure proper implementation and reporting of security policies.
- Keeps abreast of microcomputer technological developments and hardware and software packages, and prepares written recommendations concerning acquisition of new systems or adaptation of existing systems. Meets with individuals within the Bureau to identify training needs. Develops specialized, custom training programs and provides introductory and advance training to FTC staff on selected software packages and equipment.
- Writes documentation, memos, testimony, technical guides, user guides, handbooks, and informational bulletins for staff. Prepares written analyses and gives oral presentations to BCP staff and external law enforcement and computer operations entities. Gives sworn statements in testimony.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Specialized Experience at the GS-14: must have 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service which provided the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the ability to lead all phases of information technology (Systems and Network Administration, Electronic Mail Administration, Retrieval Ware Administration, Database Administration, Web Support, Database Design and Rollout, Litigation Support Analysis, Management Analysis, Computer Solutions Support, Automated Systems, Research Support, Customer Service, Training, and Communications).
In order to meet minimum qualifications, applicants must also identify experience which demonstrates that the candidate meets the following selective factors. Candidates who do not show such experience in their resume, will not be considered.
- Experience independently performing network administration tasks.
- Experience independently performing system administration tasks.
Qualification requirements in the vacancy announcement are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on the Office of Personnel Management's website located at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
Applications must be received on-line via www.usajobs.gov
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
For information on how FTC determines the best qualified candidates click here.
To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
Individuals applying for this announcement are required to complete and submit an online application through the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) application system, USAJOBS. The information you provide in USAJOBS is general information completed by all candidates. That information and your resume will become part of your application and will automatically be transferred to FT-SEE when you apply online. The submission of anything other than the below online application will result in you not being considered for this job.
If applying online poses a hardship to any applicant, please contact us. Applicants must contact us at 202-326-2021 prior to the closing date to speak to someone who can provide assistance for online submission. Requests for extensions will not be granted.
There are several parts of the application process that will affect your overall evaluation:
1. Your online resume (See Step 1 below).
2. Your responses to the eligibility questions.
3. Your responses to the vacancy specific self-assessment questions.
4. Submission of supporting documentation (See instructions under the "Required Documentation" section of this posting.
You have until 11:59 PM Eastern Time on the closing date of this announcement to complete the following four-step application process:
STEP 1: To apply, you must first register on USAJOBS at www.usajobs.opm.gov and have at least one resume associated with your account. Your online resume must be built using the USAJOBS resume builder or you can upload an existing resume from your computer. You must submit a resume to be considered for this position. Once you have completed the registration process, thoroughly review this vacancy announcement and then select the "Apply Online" button and follow the instructions provided.
STEP 2: After selecting a resume to submit with your application package, you will be taken to FT-SEE to answer questions related to your experience and vacancy specific questions. The answers to the questions are necessary to evaluate your qualifications for the specific job to which you are applying. When completed, the information you provided through USAJOBS and the answers to the FT-SEE questions will become your application.
STEP 3: Review your resume to make certain that it supports your responses to the questions. Once you submit your online application, you will see a screen telling you that your application has been successfully transmitted. If you do not receive this confirmation, you have not successfully completed your application.
STEP 4: Submit Supporting Documentation, as necessary.
NOTE: Paper applications and information sent by mail WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
To help you ensure your application fully outlines your qualifications and eligibility for this position, please submit the following documentation as appropriate. Some of the items listed may not apply to you.
APPLICATION PACKAGE CHECKLIST
__ Announcement number, title, and grade(s) of the position
__ Full name, mailing address (including zip code) and day and evening phone numbers (with area code)
__ Statement that you are a U.S. citizen
__ Current Federal employees serving on a competitive career or career conditional appointment or reinstatement eligible must submit a copy of their most recent Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50).
__Copy of DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty) (only if claiming veteran's preference)
__SF-15 (Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference) plus the support documentation required by this form (if claiming 10-point veteran's preference)
__ Paid and non-paid work experience related to the position. For each period of Work experience include:
___Series/grade (if Federal employment)
___Duties and accomplishments
___Employer's name and address
___Supervisor's name and contact information
___Starting and ending dates of employment (month/day/year)
___Number of hours worked per week
___Indicate if we may contact current supervisor/employer
___Other job related information, such as training courses (title & year); skills (e.g., other languages, computer software/hardware, tools, etc.)
___Honors, awards, and special accomplishments
___A Legible copy of college transcripts (if qualifying all or in part on the basis of Education for this position)
___Support documentation for eligibility for special hiring authorities, such as disability, Peace Corps service, etc.