Become a part of the Department that touches the lives of every American! At HHS you can give back to your community, state, and country by making a difference in the lives of Americans everywhere. Join HHS and help make our world healthier, safer and better for all Americans.
The Indian Health Service is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified Indian applicants and employees who are qualified and suitable for Federal employment. The Indian Health Service (IHS) by law is committed to affording employment preference to American Indian and Alaska Native candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. In other than the above, the Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
To be eligible for this position under the Delegated Examining (DE) hiring plan, you must be a U.S. Citizen.
This position is also being announced under Announcement # IHS-12-AB-823124-ESEP/MP for those who want to be considered under Merit Promotion Plan/Excepted Service Examining Plan. If you wish to be considered under all hiring plans you must submit an application to both job opportunity announcements.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Regional Aberdeen Area, PHS Indian Health Hospital, Medical Staff Department, Kyle, Pine Ridge, Wanblee, South Dakota.
Kyle, SD United States Few vacancies
Pine Ridge, SD United States Few vacancies
Wanblee, SD United States Few vacancies
- Salary range: $67,047.00- $94,427.00 (Annually)
- Promotion potential: GS-12
- Merit Promotion Position: YES
- Travel Required: YES--Occasional travel may be required.
- Supervisory/Managerial Position: NO
- Relocation Expenses Paid: NO--Travel and Relocation Expenses are not authorized and WILL NOT BE PAID; Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the employee.
- Is position covered by PL 101-630? YES--(See "Required Documents under the "How-to-Apply" section of this vacancy).
- Is drug testing required? NO
- Is government housing available? NO
- Is this a bargaining unit position? YES
- TOUR OF DUTY: Alternative work schedule, call back, standby, rotating shifts, nights/weekends/holidays? YES
NOTE: This position may require that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
"WHO MAY APPLY SECTION"
· ANY U.S. CITIZEN
- visit email@example.com for more information on "Who May Apply".
Please ensure you answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may impact your rating or result in you losing consideration for the job.
MAJOR DUTIES: This position is located at the one of the various IHS health canters or hospitals in the Aberdeen Area Indian Health Service, in the Medical Staff Section. The purpose of this position is to provide direct and comprehensive primary, preventive and therapeutic medical and nursing care to individuals across the lifespan.
- The purpose of this position is to provide direct and comprehensive primary, preventive, and therapeutic medical care to individuals across the lifespan.
- Assesses plans and provides direct and comprehensive primary, therapeutic and preventive medical care to individual geriatric, adult, adolescent, pediatric and infant patients and their families.
- Performs a physical examination of the patient using palpation, percussion, auscultation, observation skills, using appropriate diagnostic instruments.
- Orders and/or performs screening and diagnostic tests and procedures (lab studies, x-rays, EKG's, audiograms, pulmonary function tests, etc.).
- Makes diagnosis and decisions concerning medical needs of patients, formulates /implements plan of care which may involve various treatment modalities, prescribing medications, consultations with other health care providers, referrals, etc.
Identifies /manages both minor and serious acute and chronic illnesses (e.g., upper respiratory infections, venereal diseases, hyper tension, HIV, heart disease, trauma, etc.).
- Performs minor surgical and invasive procedures, such as suture of lacerations not involving nerves or tendons, incision and drainage of abscesses, insertion of intra uterine device for contraception, insertion/removal of Norplant capsules, etc.
- Provides direct physical and psychological care in emergencies in order to maintain life, provide comfort, reduce stress and enhance coping ability and summons physician when appropriate.
- Evaluates medical aspects of the plan of care periodically, recognizing the need for reassessment by a physician or other health professional.
- Documents data, patient assessment and care plan in acceptable form in medical records.
Teaches and counsels patients and family on disease prevention /health maintenance techniques.
- Collaborates with other health care professionals to develop treatment protocols, standards of practice and policies.
- Maintains and improves professional knowledge and skills by participating in seminars, accredited home study, in-service education and/or individuals preceptorship; Attends all mandatory training.
- Routine duties include providing medical care/public health services to individuals eligible for services provided by the IHS in homes, schools, clinics, job sites, and other locations within the Service Unit.
- Performs other position related duties as assigned.