BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT FOR RESEARCH WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST
Applicants must meet the following to satisfy the basic education requirement for Research Wildlife Biologist. Submit or upload all of your transcripts that show you meet the following:
Degree with major in wildlife biology, zoology, or botany that included at least 30 semester hours of course work in biological science and 15 semester hours in the physical, mathematical, and earth sciences. This course work must have included:
- At least 9 semester hours of wildlife biology in such subjects as mammalogy, ornithology, animal ecology, wildlife management, principles of population dynamics, or related course work in the field of wildlife biology; and
- At least 12 semester hours in zoological subjects such as invertebrate zoology, vertebrate zoology, comparative anatomy of the vertebrates, embryology, animal physiology, entomology, herpetology, parasitology, and genetics; and
- At least 9 semester hours in the field of botany and related plant science; and
- At least 15 semester hours in any combination of two or more of the following: chemistry, physics, mathematics, statistics, soils, and/or geology.
ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE GS-12 GRADE LEVEL
In addition to the Basic Education Requirement, candidates must have at least 1 year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the GS-11 level that is in or related to the duties described above, and that has equipped the candidate with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. Specialized experience includes knowledge and research experience of marine animals and their ecological relationships, defining research problems, executing complex research plans, field research techniques, analytical techniques for modeling temporal and spatial dynamics of wildlife populations, presenting results at regional or national meeting, and publishing results in peer-reviewed journals. OR
Candidates must have successfully completed all of the requirements for a Ph.D or equivalent doctoral degree. This graduate study must have provided the knowledge, skill, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of this position. OR
Combination of graduate education in an appropriate field of study and appropriate specialized experience as described above.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
If this position requires specific educational course work to qualify, or you are qualifying based in whole or part on education, you are required to provide all unofficial transcripts (undergraduate, graduate, etc.) or list of course work, which includes semester hours earned and grade received, by the closing date of this announcement or you will be disqualified from further consideration. This proof may be faxed, document uploaded, or hand delivered to the servicing Human Resources Office (see "Required Documents" and/or "Contact Information"). Please ensure that all documentation is legible. If you are currently employed by the Federal government in the same occupational series as the advertised position, you are not required to submit transcripts at this time.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: http://www.usgs.gov/ohr/oars/quals/foreign.html.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
You will be required to operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle in the performance of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements: (1) possess a valid State license, and (2) possess a safe driving record. If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license and a copy of your driving record.
Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Basis of Rating: Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. If you meet the basic qualification and eligibility requirements of this position, you will be contacted via email after the vacancy announcement closes and given 10 calendar days to submit narrative responses that address the knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs) required to perform the duties of this position. You will be rated and ranked based on the information you provide in your resume as well as the responses you submit to the required KSAs. Veterans' preference rules for category rating will be applied. The knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position are as follows:
1. Ability to design and conduct innovative field research to answer critical questions in walrus, pinniped, or marine animal ecology. Describe any specific experiences as principal investigator working with walruses, pinnipeds, or other marine animal species, focusing on the management context of the research questions and any innovative approaches used.
2. Skills and knowledge of statistical and modeling techniques in analyzing wildlife data, particularly animal resource selection and field measures of wildlife demographics. Include a description of the types of approaches you have used, noting the software/languages used, and degree of customization and original coding performed.
3. Skill in communicating results of scientific research to peers within the scientific community (include a list of peer-reviewed publications in your resume). Describe the scientific and management impact of the publication you consider your most significant career achievement.
4. Ability to work as a member or lead and manage a scientific team to generate findings that have impact on important natural resource management questions or decisions, including writing proposals and study plans, coordinating progress with collaborators, effectively communicating with clients and stakeholders, supervising staff, managing budgets, and making sound decisions.
NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered. To preview questions please click here.