Job Title: Lead Information Technology Specialist (Network) - NIAID - MPJob Announcement Number: NIH-NIAID-MP-13-820388
Department: Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency: National Institutes of Health
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, January 14, 2013 to
Friday, January 18, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Montgomery County, MD United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles)
The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview.
This position is located within the Office of Cyber Infrastructure and Computational Biology (OCICB), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of the Director (OD), Operations and Engineering Branch (OEB) for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
- Time in grade met within 30 days of closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected for this position, you will perform the following tasks:
- Lead a team of at least three other federal employees in accomplishing two-grade interval work with a base level of GS-13. Responsible for ensuring that all work assignments of the team are carried out to achieve specific tasks, produce work products and services, and to meet program goals of the OEB.
- Lead the team in identifying, distributing and balancing workload and tasks among employees in accordance with established work flow, skill level and/or occupational specialization; making adjustments to accomplish the workload in accordance with established priorities to ensure timely accomplishment of assigned team tasks; and ensuring that each employee has an integral role in developing the final team product.
- Plan, schedule, and direct ongoing work of contractors assigned to the team on a daily, quarterly and annual basis. Establish and improve work methods and procedures used to produce work products.
- Serve as an advisor in the assigned field (network security operations) with authoritative expertise in supporting methods, techniques, principles and concepts.
- Lead effort to research, diagnose and devise practical solutions to data and storage problems affecting applications availability. Design, implement, test, and install modifications to application appliance management configurations to significantly enhance hosting services performance, functionality, security, and scalability.
- Play a key role in researching, diagnosing causes of complex, critical NAS and data storage problems and devising innovative solutions for their resolution.
- Provide cost-effective information systems solutions, and develop, test, evaluate, and provide new secure infrastructure technologies.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must demonstrate in your resume IT related experience obtained in either the private or public sector, and/or completion of specific, intensive training that demonstrates that you possess each of the following four competencies: 1. Attention to Detail is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail; 2. Customer Service Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services; 3. Oral Communication Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately; 4. Problem Solving identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Possess 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-13 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector typically gained in the IT field or through performing IT related tasks such as: planning, designing, developing, and managing a network security operations program; defining security requirements for an IT network; implementing and managing an intrusion detection and prevention system; designing and developing network security operations network infrastructure, server and switching hardware, and operating software systems; testing and performing maintenance of network security operations hardware and software; leading or instructing other IT specialist or contractors in performing network diagnostics, analyzing network traffic patterns, and installing network software fixes and upgrades; and evaluating the effectiveness of new concepts and ideas for network infrastructure, data storage and management systems enhancement.
View Assessment Questions
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED: