Job Title:Information Technology Specialist (Network & Security Operations) - NIAID - MP
Department:Department Of Health And Human Services
Agency:National Institutes of Health
Job Announcement Number:NIH-NIAID-MP-13-810516
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, January 14, 2013 to
Friday, January 18, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Montgomery County, MD United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Status Candidates (Merit Promotion and VEOA Eligibles) |
The NIH is the premier biomedical research center for the world. Its 27 Institutes and Centers employ approximately 18,000 employees doing a vast array of jobs, all supporting efforts for a healthy nation. For information on the NIH mission, goals, and Institutes and Centers, visit NIH Overview.
This position is located within the Office of Cyber Infrastructure and Computational Biology (OCICB), Office of Science Management and Operations (OSMO), Office of Director (OD), Operations and Engineering Branch (OEB) for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID).
- Time in grade met within 30 days of closing date.
- Position is subject to a background investigation.
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected for this position, you will perform the following tasks:
· Evaluate and recommend commercially available hardware and software whenever possible. Plan testing/evaluation and installation of equipment to include commercially available hardware and software.
· Conduct the review and critique of proposals for new or changed facilities to be made available to the end users of computer networking facilities at the NIH
· Provide expertise in Local Area Network and Wide Area Network hardware, network design and protocols such as IP, IPX, AppleTalk, IGRP, EIGRP, RIP, BGP and/or OSPF.
· Configure and optimize network servers, hubs, routers, and switches
· Configure, maintain, and troubleshoot network systems including computer hardware, communications systems and application software in support of a demand driven 27 x 7 work environment.
· Research and diagnose problems that are particularly complex and require complete user and/or system documentation.
· Review and implement the ongoing network operation of NIH target architecture.
· Analyze business strategies and operational processes and identify and develop cost effective alternative solutions.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must demonstrate in your resume IT related experience obtained in either the private or public sector, and/or completion of specific, intensive training that demonstrates that you possess each of the following four competencies: 1. Attention to Detail is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail; 2. Customer Service Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services; 3. Oral Communication Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately; 4. Problem Solving identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Possess 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector typically gained in the IT field or through performing IT related tasks such as: monitoring network performance; performing network diagnostics; analyzing network traffic patterns; installing network software fixes and upgrades; defining security requirements for an IT network; leading or instructing other IT Specialists in performing such work with networks.
View Assessment Questions
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered with Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED: