The experience described in your resume will be evaluated and screened for the Office of Personnel Management's (OPMs) basic qualifications requirements. See: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/group-stds/gs-prof.asp as well as the Individual Occupational Requirement (IOR) http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/Standards/IORs/gs0500/0510.htm and other competencies and specialized experience needed to perform the duties of the position as described in the MAJOR DUTIES and QUALIFICATIONS sections of this announcement by Wednesday, January 23, 2013.
You must have one year Specialized Experience equivalent to the GS-14 level in the Federal service (experience may have been gained in the private/military sector) giving the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position. Experience must be reflected in your resume.
Specialized experience required for this position is:
- Applying extensive knowledge of statutes, policies, and issuance that govern or otherwise affect financial reporting, including OMB Circular A-136 and the Treasury Financial Manual.
- Experience applying knowledge of the concepts, theories, principles, and practices of general accounting, cost accounting, governmental accounting, and commercial accounting, as well as governmental and commercial financial management concepts, theories, principles and practices, to be able to develop appropriate accounting and financial management policies, standards, and procedures that meet a multitude of complex circumstances.
- Working knowledge of GAO and internal audit committees; congressional staffs and other organizations, committees, boards, and councils.
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Generally Accepted Government Auditing Standards (GAGAS).
- Preparation and delivery of effective presentations to high-level managers and other audiences.
Specifically you will be evaluated on the following competencies:
1. Knowledge of principles, concepts, and practices of professional accounting standards and audits.
2. Knowledge of accounting systems and federal government accounting requirements.
3. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
Substitution of education may not be used in lieu of specialized experience for this grade level.
This position has a Basic Requirement for the (0510) series:
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term accounting means accounting and/or auditing in this standard. Similarly, accountant should be interpreted, generally, as accountant and/or auditor.)
B. Combination of education and experience at least four years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education and training that provide professional accounting knowledge. The applicants background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-Four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or audition, e.g., 15 semester hours , but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal non conformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicants education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
WORK SCHEDULE: Full Time
RELOCATION EXPENSES (PCS): Not Authorized
RECRUITMENT INCENTIVES: Not Authorized
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA): EXEMPT
FINANCIAL STATEMENT: Not Required
TELEWORK ELIGIBILITY: This position is telework eligible
DRUG TESTING: Required
(You must successfully pass a pre-employment drug test for this position. If you decline to take the drug test, it will be considered a declination for employment.)
SECURITY REQUIREMENTS: Non Critical Sensitive
Applicants selected from this announcement may be required to serve a one-year probationary period.
If selected for Federal employment, you will be required to complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment," (OF-306), prior to being appointed to determine your suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background check.
This position is subject to the DoD Drug Free Workplace Program. The selectee must test negative for the presence of illegal drugs before placement in the position, and will be subject to random drug testing thereafter. If a determination of the use of illegal drugs is confirmed in this position or other testing designated positions in OSD or WHS, non-selection or disciplinary action, up to and including removal from Federal service, may result. All tentative selectees for this position will be required to undergo a urinalysis test to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment and periodically thereafter.
This announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies with various security clearances during the next 90 days. This could result in a few or many vacancies being from this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
How You Will Be Evaluated for Delegated Examining (Open to the Public):
We will review your résumé and supporting documents, to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. We will evaluate each applicant who meets the basic qualifications on the information provided and evaluate your relevant work experiences as it relates to fundamental competencies, identified in the Qualifications section above, required for this position. Based on the results of this evaluation, you will be placed in one of the following quality categories:
Best Qualified: This highest category will be used for those candidates who possess the type and quality of experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position, including any selective placement factors and/or appropriate quality ranking factor(s), as determined by the job analysis.
Highly Qualified: This higher category will be used for those candidates who possess the type and quality of experience that exceed the minimum qualifications of the position, as determined by the job analysis.
Qualified: This lowest category will be used for those candidates that meet the minimum qualifications of the position and are proficient in some, but not all, of the requirements of the position. Candidates may require extensive training and/or orientation in order to satisfactorily perform the duties of the position.
Names of the candidates in the Highly-Qualified category will be sent first to the hiring manager for employment consideration. Applicants in other categories will be referred in accordance with category rating procedures.
Deliberate attempts to falsify your application information, such as copying portions of this job announcement into your resume, may result in being removed from consideration for this position.
Application of Veterans Preference: The Category Rating Method does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three," but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Highly Qualified) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied.http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Veterans Preference: If you are entitled to veterans preference, you should indicate the type of veterans preference you are claiming on your résumé. Your veterans preference entitlement will be verified by the employing agency. If you are entitled to veterans preference and qualified for the position, your name will be placed above non-preference candidates on a list sent to the hiring manager for employment consideration. Qualified veterans' preference eligible with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category depending on the position and grade level of the job. For information on entitlement see
All Veterans: You are required to submit a DD Form 214, Military Discharge (Member Copy 4). Veterans claiming 10 Point Preference in addition to your DD 214, you are required to submit a completed SF-15 and, supporting documents outlined on the SF-15. http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdfHow You Will Be Evaluated for Merit Promotion:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities required of this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.