Citizen of the United States. Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: A Bachelors in Nursing from a National League for Nursing Accrediting commision (NLNAC) or Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited program (You must provide college transcripts) is preferred.
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows: Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization, Professional Development: performance, education/career development, Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality, Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Education/Experience Requirements:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD http://www1.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?Pub_ID=464&FType=2
Education: Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Education must have been accredited through The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC)The NLNAC accredits all levels of nursing programs or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
- Must be a US citizen to apply for this job.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Must submit a copy of your current, unrestricted RN license.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
It is critical to the applicant evaluation that the resume contains sufficient information to support the following.
- Responses to the vacancy-specific questions. The applicant resume will be compared to responses to the vacancy-specific questions related to the position; and
- Meet the specialized experience as defined in this vacancy announcement and/or in the vacancy qualifying question(s).
If the responses to vacancy-specific questions and specialized experience are not adequately supported in the resume, applicant responses may be adjusted to reflect the information provided in the online resume and/or rated NOT QUALIFIED.
Applicants must ensure they answer all questions and follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect the applicant evaluation. Applicants should be aware that when answering all questions, their experience and education are subject to verification by investigation. If the applicant resume and application does not support the responses to the job specific vacancy questions and specialized experience, or if the applicant is not able to provide verifying documentation on request, it may affect the applicant evaluation or result in the applicants' name being removed from consideration.