Basic Requirements: A. Degree that included or was supplemented by at least 24 semester hours of course work in a field related to the work of the position to be filled (as presented in the description of duties), of which at least 9 semester hours were in education courses. OR B. Four (4) years of experience that demonstrated a thorough understanding of the principles and practices of the work in the education program specialist series. This experience must have been of such character and diversity to demonstrate that the applicant possesses an understanding of the field comparable to that acquired through completion of a degree from an accredited college or university. OR C. Combination of education and experience - (including at least 24 semester hours in a field related to the work of the position to be filled, of which at least 9 hours must have been in education courses.) OR D. At least one (1) full academic year of professional teaching experience. This experience is defined as full and primary responsibility, under general supervision, for instruction of assigned students in an accredited school or institution. This includes responsibility for preparing and presenting lessons and for evaluating students' progress, including a determination of the students' progress, including a determination of the students' success or failure according to established criteria. Serving in an assistant capacity to a professor without the authority to determine the students' success or failure to meet course requirements does not meet this criterion.
For the GS-15 grade level: One year of specialized experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. This experience must be equivalent to the GS-14 grade level in the Federal government.
Examples of such experience may include: Experience and skill in generating and developing new approaches and concepts and in planning, evaluating, and providing leadership to major long-range programs designed to spur significant advances in the field of education. The education program specialist is a nationally recognized authority in the broad education field, whose judgments, advice, and influence have a major impact on agency nationwide programs and future activities; experience in formulating of overall policies and procedures necessary to prepare new or revised legislation and testimony; experience in applying professional expertise in developing , applying, and appraising new education concepts and techniques, in defining problem areas, and in recommending changes in overall agency program guidelines and criteria.
For full qualifications go to: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/index.asp
APPLICANTS MUST MEET QUALIFICATIONS REQUIREMENTS BY THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT. Applicants should possess proficiency or the potential to develop proficiency in theses competencies prior to entry into a supervisory position. The specific level of proficiency identified for each competency depends on the specific requirements of the position being filled and must be determined by the agency.
1. Accountability - Holds self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost effective results. Determines objectives, sets priorities, and delegates work. Accepts responsibility for mistakes. Complies with established control systems and rules.
2. Customer Service - Anticipates and meets the needs of both internal and external customers. Delivers high-quality products and services; is committed to continuous improvement.
3. Decisiveness - Makes well-informed, effective, and timely decisions, even when data are limited or solutions produce unpleasant consequences; perceives the impact and implications of decisions.
4. Flexibility - Is open to change and new information; rapidly adapts to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
5. Integrity/Honesty - Behaves in an honest fair, ethical manner. Show consistency in words and actions. Models high standard of ethics.
6. Interpersonal Skills - Treats others with courtesy, sensitivity, and respect. Considers and responds appropriately to the needs and feelings of different people in different situations.
7. Oral Communication - Makes clear and convincing oral presentations. Listens effectively; clarifies information as needed.
8. Problem Solving - Identifies and analyzes problems; weighs relevance and accuracy of information; generates and evaluates alternative solutions; makes recommendations.
9. Resilience - Deals effectively with pressure; remains optimistic and persistent, even under adversity. Recovers quickly from setbacks.
10. Written Communication - Writes in a clear, concise, organized, and convincing manner for the intended audience.
11. Developing Others - Develops the ability of others to perform and contribute to the organization by providing ongoing feedback and by providing opportunities to learn through formal and informal methods.
12. External Awareness - Understands and keep up-to-date on local, national, and international policies and trends that affect the organization and shape stakeholders' views; is aware of the organization's impact on the external environment.
13. Influencing/Negotiating - Persuades others; builds consensus through give and take; gains cooperation from others to obtain information and accomplish goals.
14. Partnering - Develops networks and builds alliances; collaborates across boundaries to build strategic relationships and achieve common goals.
15. Political Savvy - Identifies the internal and external politics that impact the work of the organization. Perceives organizational objectives and practices with public interests.
16. Strategic Thinking - Formulates objectives and priorities, and implements plans consistent with the long-tem interest of the organization in a global environment. Capitalizes on opportunities and manages risks.
Applicants are expected to possess the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs) listed below to qualify for this position. These KSAs are addressed in the self-assessment questionnaire that you will complete for this announcement. You do not need to respond separately to the KSAs listed below. Your answers to the on-line experience questions will serve as responses to the KSAs.
Your application will be evaluated based on your ability to demonstrate the following knowledge, skills, and abilities/competencies (KSAs):
1. Knowledge of policy analysis and evaluation principles, concepts and techniques is required sufficient to provide leadership in the evaluation, assessment and improvement of programs and management systems.
2. Knowledge of wide range of qualitative and quantitative techniques for measuring effectiveness, efficiency and productivity of assigned programs. Utilizes this knowledge to formulate new program measurement efforts.
3. Knowledge of organization and systems processes sufficient to resolve long-standing problems, balance conflicting program interests, and depart from previous approaches.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
WARNING! High self-assessment in the vacancy questions that is not supported by information in your resume, and/or supporting documents may eliminate you from best-qualified status or result in a lowered score. Your responses to the vacancy questions must be substantiated by your on-line resume. Be sure that the experience/education as described on your resume contains accurate and sufficient information that clearly supports your responses to all of the questions by addressing experience and education relevant to this position. If you exaggerate or falsify your experience, education and/or your responses to questions, your ratings can/will be changed, or you may be removed from employment consideration. You should make a fair and accurate assessment of your qualifications. Applicants who do not respond to the application questions will be rated ineligible. Eligible candidates will be placed for selection consideration into three (3) categories as described below:
1 - Qualified Category
2 - Well Qualified Category
3 - Best Qualified Category To preview questions please click here.