To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION
requirements specified below and/or
GS-4: Successful completion of a 2 year course of study above the high school level from an accredited college or university, that included at least 4 semester hours in courses such biology, plant pathology, entomology, zoology, botany, forestry, chemistry, agriculture, or physics.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- This position requires specific coursework or a degree in a specific field to be basically qualified.
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS AT THE GS-4 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants must have 6 months of general and 6 months of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade in the Federal service. Qualifying general experience is progressively responsible clerical, office, or other work that indicates an ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position to be filled. Qualifying specialized experience must have provided familiarity with the methods, procedures, and techniques involved in inspecting, detecting, identifying, eradicating, suppressing, or controlling plant pests, and in the enforcement of Federal and State quarantines.
Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Experience in conducting field surveys for exotic pests of concern, with a focus on citrus pest surveys.
- Experience in the use of GPS technology in a pest survey context as well as developing and maintaining accurate maps of survey activities.
- Experience collecting data in the field and from daily records and preparing reports on activities accomplished.
- Knowledge of the use of computers in conducting daily work including the use of spreadsheets, word documents, and the internet.
- Experience contacting stakeholders (i.e. landowners, tenants, managers, etc.) to obtain permission to conduct surveys enforcing regulations.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-4 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Technical and Medical Support Positions
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year trial period.
- Applicants are required to operate a motor vehicle and must possess a valid State Driver's License at time of appointment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Ability to recognize agricultural products/commodities , their origin, and their condition
- Knowledge of plant pests /disease detection, identification and control
- Ability to interpret and apply standards, procedures, and/or regulations, including State and Federal plant quarantine regulations
- Oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to plan and organize work and lead others
- Ability to use maps, mapping software, and/or mapping systems
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.