Job Title:Secretary (Executive Assistant)
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Agricultural Marketing Service
Job Announcement Number:24CN-2013-0003
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Tuesday, January 8, 2013 to
Wednesday, May 01, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy -
Memphis, TN, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6CN-2013-0004. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)|
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This position is located in the Agricultural Marketing Service, Cotton Program, Office of the Deputy Administrator. The incumbent of this position serves as personal assistant to the Deputy Administrator and provides administrative and secretarial support to the Office of the Deputy Administrator and the Office of the Associate Deputy. You will collaborate and work with the principal secretaries in the Office of the Deputy Administrator(s) in providing a full range of personal and office services and ensures coverage and integration of office management concerns throughout the AMS organization.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- As the secretary for the Deputy Administrator's office you ensure that the practices and procedures used by secretaries in subordinate offices are consistent with those of the Administrator’s Office.
- Serves in a liaison capacity between the Deputy Administrator, Associate Deputy, and others in the immediate office, and representatives of the private sector, other Federal Agencies, State and Foreign governments, national and international organizations, agricultural interest groups, Congress, other USDA agencies, academia, and others with agricultural interests.
- Analyzes data obtained from the expenditure and cost records, and historical data in order to independently prepare the upcoming annual operating budget; must be alert to any significant changes (staffing, space, equipment, etc.) anticipated for the office and incorporate the impact into the office plan.
- You will receive and review all correspondence forwarded for attention by the Deputy Administrator and/or Associate Deputy; replies to mail not requiring the Deputy or Associate Deputy Administrator’s attention; assigns correspondence not needing attention at this level to staff and/or program as appropriate, and follows up to ensure that actions are completed. Screens all correspondence prepared for the Administrator's signature for clarity, completeness of reply and conformance with procedures.
- Arranges and schedules meetings and conferences involving members of top management and Officials of the agency, Department, and other agencies, as well as national and international visitors for the Deputy and Associate Deputy Administrators.
- Prepares all travel arrangements for the Deputy Administrator, Associate Deputy Administrator as needed, and applicable senior staff including preparing travel authorizations, transportation reservations, hotel accommodations, etc…
- Serves as primary timekeeper and prepares all time and attendance materials for Deputy Administrator and staff based on worksheets submitted. Enters all time and attendance information into system to ensure accurate and timely payroll delivery.
- Using a microcomputer, types correspondence and reports in final form from notes or rough drafts. Inputs, transmits, and receives electronic mail using word processing and spreadsheet software.
- Adheres to Equal Employment and Civil Rights policies, goals and objectives in performing the duties of the position. Assures that written and oral communications are bias free and those differences of other employees and clients are respected and valued.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the experience requirements specified below.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL: Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors.
Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Coordinating incoming and outgoing executive correspondence, including agency requests for information and maintaining executive accomplishments.
- Creating and maintaining an office budget and expenditures.
- Creating and monitoring the travel schedule and arrangements and time and attendance for office personnel.
- Providing telephone and receptionist services; maintaining records; requisitioning office supplies; repairs on office equipment; filling material and maintaining office filing system.
THERE IS NO EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION FOR THE GS-9 GRADE LEVEL.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Ability to type and perform stenography – Ability to type at a speed of 40 words per minute, with little or no errors.
- Knowledge of administrative processes – Ability to create and maintain a filing system, both electronically and manually; to research and procure products using requisitions or a purchase card; to create and analyze travel documents, time & attendance reports, periodic administrative reports.
- Ability to use office automation – Knowledge of common desktop software used for creating documents. Ability to use various commercial, internet-based computer programs for travel, purchasing and administrative functions.
- Knowledge of office management procedures and processes – Ability to manage priorities with little input from a supervisor to maintain the schedule or calendar of an executive, often with complex arrangements; to create and maintain an office budget used for salaries, equipment and travel.
- Ability to provide executive assistance – Ability to coordinate small and large meetings/gatherings, including securing space, making travel arrangements and communicating with multiple sources; to develop and implement office procedures.
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.