Basic Qualifications: for 0601: Applicants must possess a degree with a major study in an academic field related to the health sciences or allied sciences appropriate to the work of the position.
Since this position has a specific education requirement, all applicants must verify completion of this basic education requirement by providing an original, official college transcript before appointment.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Specialized Experience Requirement
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position to include senior executive experience in in leading, planning, coordinating, evaluating, and directing a staff, policies, and programs centered on national public health initiatives and activities related to HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD, and TB or other related public health programs. To be qualified for this position, you must provide evidence of experience in a managerial capacity with responsibility for providing supervisory direction to a large and diverse organization responsible for promoting economy, efficiency, and effectiveness in the administration of programs and operations on a national level and preventing and detecting fraud and abuse in such programs and operations. This experience must be evidenced by sophisticated analytical skills, superior written and oral communication skills, good judgment, and experience in interacting with government and non-government officials. Typically, experience of this nature is gained at or above the GS-15 grade level in the Federal service, or its equivalent with state or local government, the private sector, or nongovernmental organizations.
Senior Executive Service Requirements
Current or former career SES employees are not required to address the Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs), but must address the Technical Qualifications (TQs). Unless you are currently serving under a career SES appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the SES, or have successfully completed a SES Candidate Development Program approved by OPM, you must submit a narrative statement separately covering each of the ECQs and TQs in order to receive consideration for the position.
Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in applying for this position to serve in the SES must resign their commission if selected. If you are applying under this option, you must address both the TQs and ECQs in this announcement. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps Officers interested in performing the duties of the position within the Commissioned Corps must address the TQs but are not required to address the ECQs.
Additional information on the proper preparation of ECQs is available by going to the Office of Personnel Management's web site at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf. Applicants are encouraged to follow the Challenge, Context, Action, and Result model outlined in the guide.
When responding to the TQs and ECQs, you must clearly show that you possess the experience, knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position by submitting narrative responses in which you detail your experience in each of the TQs and ECQs.
Your examples should be clear and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with results of your actions, policy initiatives and level of contacts. In addition, your responses should highlight your experience, training, and achievements in conjunction with the resume that you provide. You should limit your narrative to two pages for each ECQ and TQ.
In order to satisfy all of the specified requirements, you must submit narrative responses, separate from your resume, addressing the TQs and the five ECQs outlined below.
In addition to specialized experience, applicants must possess the following technical qualifications that represent the knowledge, skills, and abilities essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position:
1. Experience that indicates the ability to deal effectively with high-level government officials, national or international organizations, non-governmental groups, media, and the public at large.
2. Leadership experience in directing and managing a public health research organization, including establishing strategic plans and policies, developing and presenting budgets, evaluating program accomplishments, and building and maintaining a diverse staff.
3. Strong leadership experience in creating a vision and setting direction for large organizations, such as scientific, public health, academic or non-governmental organizations. Inherent is the ability to lead organizational change, leverage divergent positions or organizations in a manner which contributes to organizational effectiveness, and/or align or realign organizational resources for improved impact.
4. High degree of public health prominence and expertise, and a distinguished record of accomplishments in the field of medical evaluation, public health research, public health science, and management of substantive programs, missions, and functions, such that the individual can readily command the respect of the national and international communities.
5. Experience in developing and implementing national or international policies and research related to the field of scientific public health surveillance and epidemiology.
An advanced degree and training in science, public health, or health policy.
Executive Core Qualifications
Fundamental Competencies: The following competencies are the foundation for success in each of the ECQs. Interpersonal Skills; Oral Communication; Integrity/Honesty; Written Communication; Continual Learning; and Public Service Motivation. These Fundamental Competencies are cross-cutting and should be addressed over the course of your ECQ narratives.
1. Leading Change: This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment. (Competencies: creativity and innovation, external awareness, flexibility, resilience, strategic thinking, vision)
2. Leading People: This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts. (Competencies: conflict management, leveraging diversity, developing others, team building)
3. Results Driven: This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks. (Competencies: accountability, customer service, decisiveness, entrepreneurship, problem solving, technical credibility)
4. Business Acumen: This core qualification involves the ability to manage human, financial, and information resources strategically. (Competencies: financial management, human capital management, technology management)
5. Building Coalitions: This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizations to achieve common goals. (Competencies: partnering, political savvy, influencing/negotiating)
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention inspires public confidence in its trust responsibilities and mission by maintaining high ethical principles. This position is subject to the public financial disclosure requirements of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978 (P.L. 95-521). Therefore, if selected, you will be required to complete a Public Financial Disclosure Report (OGE-From 278) to determine if a conflict or an appearance of a conflict exists between your financial interests and your prospective position with the agency. This information will be required annually.
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disabling condition, membership in an employee organization, or any other non-merit factors.
All initial appointments to an SES position are contingent on approval from OPM's Qualifications Review Board unless the selectee has successfully participated in an OPM approved SES Candidate Development Program.
In accordance with Federal and Agency Travel regulations, the payment of travel and relocation expenses may be reimbursed for travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty to this position.
As a condition of employment, all male applicants born after December 31, 1959, must have registered for the selective service. If selected for this position, the applicant must sign a statement certifying his registration, or the applicant must demonstrate exempt status under the Selective Service Law.
Only experience obtained by the closing date of this announcement will be considered.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume and narrative responses to the technical qualifications and the five Executive Core Qualifications are an integral part of the process for determining your basic and specialized qualifications for the position. Responses that are not supported by your resume will eliminate you from consideration. Your application will be evaluated in the following manner:
1. Application packages will be reviewed for completeness (incomplete or late packages will not receive further consideration).
2. Basic qualifications review. Your resume and questionnaire will be reviewed to ensure that you meet the Specialized Experience Requirement. (If you do not meet this requirement, you will not receive further consideration).
3. Review of your supplemental qualifications document to determine your rating.