Job Title:Museum Curator
Job Announcement Number:13A-JL-298396-DEU-APAC
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Friday, January 4, 2013 to
Wednesday, January 23, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals. Note: Federal employees with permanent status or individuals eligible for special appointing authorities should apply to Job Announcement #13A-JL-298396-MPA-APAC.|
This position is located in the Asian Pacific American Center (APAC), Smithsonian Institution (SI). APAC produces educational programs, exhibitions and research about the Asian Pacific American (APA) experience and works in partnership with museums and centers across the Smithsonian and beyond to enrich collections and activities about the APA experience. The purpose of the position is to serve as Curator for digital and emerging media and for APA digital and emerging media.
The employee conceives, conceptualizes, develops and implements programmatic content for the Asian Pacific American Center digital and emerging media initiatives, including social media activities. The employee also develops and maintains partnerships with other Smithsonian units as they relate to curating and digitizing exhibitions, collections, research projects, and public programs about Asian Pacific American history, art and culture.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- Degree in an applicable subject-matter/related field OR
- Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major in a related field, plus appropriate experience or additional education. OR
- Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study in a related field.
In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, you must have the following:
Experience: One year of full-time experience (Federal or other) at the GS-11 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. Experience in working in a museum or cultural institution producing educational programs, exhibitions research, and activities that include conceptualizing, developing, and implementing program content for a digital and emerging media initiatives.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
For a full explanation of this option please see the Group Coverage Qualification Standards for Professional and Scientific Positions. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and/or proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or training that address the competencies below:
- Ability to apply superior mastery knowledge of the design, prototyping and the management of complex and interactive websites, including visual design and branding across multiple platforms in order to develop interactive technology standards, scripting and programming languages.
- Ability to effectively supervise subordinate staff, maintaining positive working relationships with subordinates, as well as external stakeholders.
- Ability to conceptualize, write and edit publications across platforms and fields (print, digital video, social media, podcasts, etc.) in order to secure needed programmatic resources.
- Ability to work collaboratively and to serve effectively as a team leader.
- Ability to serve as a liaison to various offices as well as external organizations and agencies to develop and implement digital collaborations with regard to the Asian American communities.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note: The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.