Department:Department Of The Interior
Agency:Bureau of Reclamation
Job Announcement Number:BR-DEGP-MT-13-01
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Wednesday, January 02, 2013 to
Wednesday, January 16, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Helena, MT, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All United States Citizens and Nationals.
Reclamation is a contemporary water management agency. Reclamation is best known for Hoover Dam on the Colorado River, Grand Coulee Dam on the Columbia River and Folsom Dam on the American River. Today we are the largest wholesaler of water in the country and the second largest producer of hydroelectric power in the western United States. Visit: www.usbr.gov.
View our DVD titled "Traditions, Talent, and Teamwork" at: www.usbr.gov/pmts/hr/video
Position is being advertised concurrently under BR-GP-MT-13-01, for current Federal employees serving under competitive service career or career-conditional appointments, former Federal employees with reinstatement eligibility, VEOA eligible veterans or persons eligible for non-competitive appointment under special appointing authorities (such as 30% disabled veterans). If you are interested in applying under both announcement numbers, you must submit application packages for each.
Reclamation is seeking a journeyman Electrician looking for an opportunity to capitalize on his/her expertise. You can make a difference in the West by assisting in meeting increasing water demands while protecting the environment.
Would you enjoy ensuring the safe and efficient operation of Government facilities? Responsibilities include troubleshooting and maintaining electrical equipment and circuits in high voltage substations and/or hydro-electrical generating stations.
Here is a great opportunity to join an organization with excellent growth potential!
LOCATION: Great Plains Region, Montana Area Office, Canyon Ferry Division, Canyon Ferry O&M, Helena, MT.
For living conditions go to: www.usbr.gov/gp/employment/living_conditions.pdf
Relocation expenses will not be paid by the Government. Any travel, transportation and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the responsibility of the selected employee.
Additional vacancies may be filled from this vacancy announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship or National. Travel of 1-2 nights per month.
- You MUST submit a resume and supporting documentation (See How to Apply).
- Suitable for Federal employment, determined by background investigation.
- You must meet job elements specific to this position (See Qualifications).
- You must pass a pre-employment physical examination.
- Valid State driver's license required. Work Schedule four 10-hour shifts.
DUTIES:Back to top
- Locates trouble and maintains electrical equipment and circuits in high voltage substations and/or hydroelectric generating stations.
- Installs smaller equipment and devices and, along with other journeymen, installs larger equipment and more complicated devices required in such stations.
- Performs field tests, adjusts, connects, and services electrical equipment such as generators, motors, power transformers, distribution transformers, instrument transformers, power circuit breakers, various types of switches and switchboards, heating, ventilating, air conditioning, and the simpler metering, relaying, recording, and control devices.
- Interprets, applies, and modifies facility drawings and manufacturer's instructions.
- Operates high-voltage switches and related devices in connection with work and in implementing the switching program set up by the dispatcher or similar person.
- Under emergency situations and/or in the absence of operations personnel, will be required to assume full powerplant and dam operational duties, including Standing Operating Procedures (SOP).
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Minimum qualifications for trades and labor positions are determined by evaluation of job elements. You must meet at least 2 points on the screen-out element(s) and obtain an average of at least 2 points on all of the job elements in order to be considered qualified for this position.
Applicants will be further evaluated on the following Job Elements through your resume and responses to the online questions:
1. Ability to do the work of Journey Level Power System Electrician without more than normal supervision (Screen-out).
2. Ability to maintain, install, repair and troubleshoot powerplant and mobile equipment.
3. Knowledge of electrical circuitry.
4. Ability to use and maintain various machines, equipment, power and hand tools associated with the Journey Level Electrician trade.
5. Knowledge of safe clearance procedures and safety standards.
6. Ability to read and interpret blueprints, drawings, and manufacturer's instructions.
7. Knowledge of installing electrical equipment and wiring, and conduit installation.
You must meet all qualification requirements and any selective placement factors by the closing date of this announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Category rating and selection procedures will be used for evaluating this position. If you meet the basic qualification requirements, your on-line responses to the vacancy assessment questionnaire will be used to determine the quality and extent of your experience, education, training, etc., for placement in one of the following categories: 1) Highly Qualified, 2) Qualified. Qualified candidates will be assigned a numerical score on a scale of 70-100 and Veterans with preference will be placed at the top of their respective category. The assessment questionnaire will take you approximately 30 minutes to complete. To preview questions please click here.
Applicant's answers to questions will be verified against information provided in their online resume. Be sure that the resume clearly supports the responses to all the questions by addressing experience, education and/or training relevant to this position. Applicants must make a fair and accurate assessment of their qualifications. If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is apparent in your description of experience, competencies, skills, and/or education/training OR that your resume/application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible or your score may be lowered.