GS-5: You qualify at the GS-5 grade level if you possess one of the following:
- One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level that demonstrates the ability to perform complex office automation duties using word processing to edit and reformat lengthy correspondence and reports. Create and maintain spreadsheets and databases; respond to inquiries by phone and/or inwriting. Review and verifying accuracy and completeness of submitted documents for benefits OR
- Successful completion of a full four-year course of study above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite can be substituted for specialized experience. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45-quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.
GS-6: You qualify at the GS-6 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 grade level in the Federal government, with the skills needed to perform successfully the duties of the position, such as:
- Performing complex office automation duties requiring different approaches and methods from one assignment to another.
- Reviewing and screening applications for benefits to ensure validity of documentation submitted.
- Providing routine information and assistance on applications for benefits.
- Maintaining subject matter files, technical instructions, and/or operating procedures.
GS-7: You qualify at the GS-7 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-6 grade level in the Federal government, with the skills needed to perform successfully the duties of the position, such as:
- Analyzing and evaluating cases where expedited screening or resolution of requests for immigration benefits is necessary.
- Determining whether request for immigration benefits sought are valid and whether applicant qualify.
- Reviewing and screening applications for immigration benefits to ensure validity of documentation submitted and completeness of supporting documentation.
- Preparation of a variety of reports utilizing a number of software applications.
- Retrieving information from other software systems (e.g., databases, spreadsheets, graphics, and word processing), analyzing data for inclusion in reports and publications.
Combining Experience and Education: Equivalent combinations of successfully completed post-high school education and experience may be used to meet total experience requirements at the GS-5 level.
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (Tuesday, January 08, 2013).
Typing Certification: You must be able to type at least 40 words per minute. You can self certify by submitting a statement that you can type this speed.
General Office Skills: Applicants must possess knowledge of general office automation software, practices, and procedures.
Physical Demands: Applicants must be able to lift moderately heavy items such as file tubs and record boxes or bins weighting up to 50 lbs.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will place you in one of three categories based on your responses to the on-line questionnaire regarding experience, education and training.
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Manages and Organizes Information
- Oral and Written Communication
- Customer Service
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click here View Assessment Questions
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPMs Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans preference, please click here.