Job Title: Physician (Section Chief, Cardio Thoracic Surgery) - part-timeJob Announcement Number: VHA-671-13-HB814727
Department: Department Of Veterans Affairs
Agency: Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, January 09, 2013 to
Tuesday, July 09, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
Part Time -
Excepted Service Permanent
1 vacancy in the following location:
San Antonio, TX United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
US Citizens and Status Candidates
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 814727
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Your education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel (for physicians and dentists) to determine your grade and salary if you are selected for this position. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
Special Employment Consideration: VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
Applications that are received by 11:59 PM (EST) on January 23, 2013, will be considered first. If no selection is made from the first group of applications, applications that are received after January 23 will be reviewed and referred for consideration as they are received.
A relocation or recruitment incentive may be authorized for a highly qualified applicant.
The payment of Permanent Change of Station (PCS)/relocation expenses is not authorized.
This position may be filled either on a full-time or part-time basis (part-time hours may be up to 70 hours per biweekly pay period). The Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) for the full-time position is 776967. If you want to be considered for a full-time position and a part-time position you must submit an application under both announcements.
- U.S. Citizenship
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- English Language Proficiency required.
DUTIES:Back to top
If selected for this position, you will serve as the Section Chief of Cardio Thoracic Surgery, assigned to the South Texas Veterans Health Care System (STVHCS) Surgical Service.
- supervising staff physicians assigned to the section
- diagnosing and treating patients with medical diseases, accomplished through ambulatory and bed-based resources assigned to Cardio Thoracic Surgery
- actively participating in patient care through hospital rounds, morning reports, conferences, consultations, participation in ambulatory care and other similar activities
- coordinating and providing Cardio Thoracic surgery consultations throughout the medical center
- recruiting qualified physicians to perform comprehensive and specialized patient care and teaching
- participating in the selection and development of all resident physicians and insuring that education experiences of Cardio Thoracic Surgery are of the quality and quantity expected by relevant accrediting bodies
- administrative responsibilities include: Morbidity & Mortality Committee, peer reviews, proctoring of staff, clinical performance and access measures, OPPE and FPPE, clinical pertinence reviews, performance evaluations and proficiencies, and conducting staff meetings
- making long-range plans for the continuing function and development of the section and for the development of sound and carefully documented organization plans and budget proposals for presentation to the Chief of Surgical Service and top management
- representing the Cardio Thoracic Surgery Section on important medical center committees with influence on patient care, teaching and research and closely monitoring all other committees on which Cardio Thoracic Surgery has representation
- serving as an important counselor for on-going research activities, especially those involving Cardio Thoracic Surgery; reviewing research proposals and manuscripts and when appropriate, providing counsel to investigators in the course of their work
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- Citizenship (Non-citizens may be appointed only if it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens)
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia
- First-Year Residency (Internship)
- English language proficiency
- Board certification by the American Board of Cardio Thoracic Surgery
Proof of current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) training at the time of credentialing and privileging and re-privileging will be required.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-2 PHYSICIAN QUALIFICATION STANDARD http://www.va.gov/ohrm/joblistings/VAQualStds.doc
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: A physical is required for this position.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.