All qualifications must be met by the closing date of this announcement, Friday, January 11, 2013. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
QUALIFICATIONS: Applicants must be physically fit and must possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities of the elements listed in Section 25 of the Online Occupational Questionnaire to perform the duties of the position at the level for which they are applying. A specific length of time and experience is not required; however you must be able to demonstrate the rough experience shown in your written application, that you possess sufficient knowledge, skill and ability to perform the duties of the position without more than normal supervision.
Examples of experience for this position include: leading, directing others, and performing duties in work such as carpentry or woodworking jobs, completion of special rehabilitation and construction projects, installing cabinets and hinges on cabinets, cutting and nailing boards, and building concrete frames without assistance, painting interior and exterior surfaces, performing major and minor electrical installations or repairs, such as repair lift station pump controls, water system pump controls, replacing fuses and light bulbs, and installing light switches without assistance, pulling wire and installing conduit and electric boxes, performing plumbing work, such as replacing washers in faucets and unclogging sinks, installing plumbing lines for new facilities, replacing existing lines, installing sinks, toilets, and faucets. As well as servicing and maintaining waste water lift pumps and water pressure and treatment systems without assistance, performing janitorial services, including cleaning sinks, toilets, sweeping and mopping floors, and insuring that there are adequate supplies of soap, towels and toilet paper for public restrooms, operating engineering equipment such as front-end loaders and bulldozers; experience with scheduling the work of other employees.
All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement. You must meet level 2 on the screen out factor/element and an average of level 2 on all factors/elements in the occupational assessment questionnaire.
1. If new to Federal Civil Service, you will be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
2. You may be required to serve a trial period of 1 year.
3. National Park Service (NPS) uniformed position. Employee will be required to wear a uniform and comply with NPS uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided to defray the cost of the uniform.
4. Applicants must possess a valid state driver's license. This position requires that you operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. A valid State driver's license is required. As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit a completed GSA Form 3607, Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. If you are tentatively selected for employment in this position, you will be required to complete GSA Form 3607 and submit the above State issued documents. Your employment, after your tentative selection, will be contingent upon receipt of these documents in a timely manner and that those documents establish, to the satisfaction of the selecting official, that you possess a valid driver's license.
5. You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued drivers license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued drivers license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid drivers licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State drivers license. Do not submit photographs with your application to this announcement.
6. Must possess and be able to maintain a Commercial Drivers License (CDL).
7. Position may require some travel.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The numeric rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs)/competencies required of this position. Please follow all instructions carefully.
Please Note: All answers provided in the on-line process must be substantiated in your application package. Upon review, if it is determined that your work history, KSAs/competencies, and/or supporting documents do not support your answer choices, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified or your score may be modified. Please ensure that your work history provides enough detail to support your answers to the KSAs/competencies.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Ability to do the work of a Lead Maintenance Mechanic, WL-4749-09, without more than normal supervision (Screen-out)
- Dexterity and Safety
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of materials used in carpentry, plumbing, electrical and general maintenance work and ability to lead others in this type of work.
Category rating procedures will be used to rate and rank candidates. Candidates will be ranked into 3 categories:
Category Group I (Best Qualified) - applicants who possess experience and/or education that well exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position, including all selective factors and all quality ranking factors. Applicants considered best qualified must be highly proficient in all requirements of the job and be able to perform effectively in the position.
Category Group II (Well Qualified) - applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in most of the requirements of the job.
Category Group III (Qualified) - applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position including all selective factors, and who are proficient in some, but not all of the requirements of the job.
VETERANS PREFERENCE: Veterans Preference applies to category rating. Within each quality category, veteran's preference eligibles are listed first, including CP, CPS, XP, and TP. In addition, veterans who have a 10% or more service-connected compensable disability (CP or CPS) are placed at the top of the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or above or if they fail to meet positive education requirements, training, selective placement factor, etc.). Applicants referred are listed on the selection certificate alphabetically (veteran's preference eligibles before non-veterans) without scores.
Order of Consideration: Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications required by the position will be considered in the following order: (1) best qualified applicants entitled to 10-point veterans' preference who have a compensable service-connected disability of 10 percent or more (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or above or if they fail to meet positive education requirements, training, selective placement factor, etc.), best qualified applicants entitled to 10-point or 5-point veterans' preference, and then all other best qualified applicants, (2) well qualified applicants entitled to 10-point or 5-point veterans' preference and then all other well qualified applicants, (3) qualified applicants entitled to 10-point or 5-point veterans' preference and then all other qualified applicants.