- U.S. citizenship
- English language proficiency
- Physical standards - All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required.
- Registration Current, full, active and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the U.S. or in the District of Columbia. The RN must maintain a current, full active and unrestricted registration to continue employment with the VA
- Educational requirements can be met as follows:
(1) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State agency, and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed: a) The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC); or b) The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). OR
(2) The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. OR
(3) In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active, and unrestricted registration, will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
The following requirements are preferred for this position:
- At a minimum, applicants should possess experience as an RN that is determined to be sustained and consistently at or above an acceptable level of quality. This may include experience as a Graduate Nurse Technician (GNT) provided that candidate was utilized as a professional nurse and passed the State licensing (board) examination on the first attempt, and experience as Nurse Technician Pending Graduation provided the candidate possessed an active, current registration to practice nursing in a State and was utilized as a professional nurse. Professional nursing experience should be documented on the Application for Employment Nurse and Nurse Anesthetists (VA Form 10-2850a).
References: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G6, NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated March 17, 2009.
Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the United States Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards your qualifications for this position. You can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency.
If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of DD-214(s) showing all dates of service as well as character of service (honorable, general, etc.). Additionally, veterans with service-connected disability of 10% or more must also submit a copy of their official statement from the Department of Veterans Affairs, or from a branch of the Armed Forces, certifying their service-connected disability and/or their receipt of compensation for service-connected disability. If the military member is within 120 days of separation and does not yet have a DD214, the member may instead submit any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is signed.
Veterans with service-connected disability of less than 10%, nonservice-connected disability, and Purple Heart recipients, as-well-as those claiming derived preference for a spouse, widow or widower, or natural mother, should refer to and submit a completed SF 15, "Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference," and required documentation with your application materials.
For more information on Veterans' Preference, go to http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetsinfo.asp.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
packages will be reviewed to determine if the basic qualifications for this
position have been met. A listing of candidates who meet the basic
qualification requirements will be forwarded to the hiring facility where the
credentialing and privileging screening process is completed.
you are referred for consideration, you may be asked to submit additional job
related information, which may include, but not limited to; responses to the
knowledge, skills and abilities; completion of a work sample, and/or contact
for an interview.
DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC AS WE CANNOT MAKE
ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.