Special Employment Consideration: Individuals eligible for the following appointments are encouraged to apply: 5 CFR 213.3102 "u", Schedule A, Appointment of persons with disabilities ; mental retardation, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities; and Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
- Status Candidates and U.S. Citizens
- Citizenship: Must be a Citizen of the United States.
- Certification: Certification by the National Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) is required.
- English Language Proficiency: Pharmacy technicians appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
SELECTIVE PLACEMENT FACTOR: Atleast one year of current hospital experience
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: One year experience at the next lower level GS-5.
EDUCATION: A high school diploma or equivalent; or at least 3 months experience.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: If applicable, must also meet any time-in-grade, physical, language, license or degree requirements.
GRADE AND SALARY TO BE DETERMINED BY THE PHARMACY TECHNICIANS PROFESSIONAL STANDARDS BOARD
You will be rated on the following Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other characteristics (KSAOs) as part of the assessment questionnaire for this position:
1. Ability to solve problems and make recommendations, e.g., troubleshoot operational problems and refer for appropriate action.
2. Knowledge of the operation and care of inpatient automated equipment.
3. Knowledge of, and ability to follow, written instructions for compounding with aseptic technique for hazardous materials such as oncology agents.
4. Knowledge, and ability to perform, compounding with aseptic technique for routine sterile products.
5. Knowledge of policies and procedures for inventory management in specialized areas such as emergency carts.
6. Knowledge of the computerized prescription process demonstrated by the ability to input prescriptions and medication orders.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. IF YOUR RESUME DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR QUESTIONNAIRE ANSWERS, WE WILL NOT ALLOW CREDIT FOR YOUR RESPONSE(S).
QUALIFICATION STANDARDS CAN BE FOUND IN VA HANDBOOK 5005
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Applicants must, therefore, only report attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. *** If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. ***
When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veterans who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement to preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment. You may also be evaluated based upon the question responses you provide during a structured interview. In responding to structured interview questions you should be sure to cite specific examples of experience, explain exactly what you did, and the outcome.