Job Title:Museum Curator (Asian Pacific American Studies)
Job Announcement Number:13A-JL-298341-DEU-APAC
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Thursday, December 13, 2012 to
Friday, December 28, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full-Time, Permanent -
|1 vacancy in the following location:|
Washington, DC, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
This position is open to all U.S. Citizens or U.S. Nationals.
This position is located in the Asian Pacific American Center (APAC), Smithsonian Institution. APAC produces educational programs, exhibitions and research about the Asian Pacific American (APA) experience and works in partnership with museums and centers across the Smithsonian and beyond to enrich collections and activities about the APA experience.
The employee develops and implements exhibitions, research projects, and public programs about Asian Pacific American history, art and culture including developing pan-institutional partnerships to provide leadership, coordination, and insight for the effective integration of the Asian Pacific American experience in research, collection, and exhibition activities throughout the Smithsonian.
The Smithsonian Institution values and seeks a diverse workforce. Join us in "Inspiring Generations through Knowledge and Discovery."
- Pass Pre-employment Background Investigation
- May need to complete a Probationary Period
- Maintain a Bank Account for Direct Deposit/Electronic Transfer
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with Selective Service.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
- Degree in an applicable subject-matter field OR
- Combination of education and experience - courses equivalent to a major, as shown above, plus appropriate experience or additional education. OR
- Four years of experience that provided knowledge comparable to that normally acquired through the successful completion of the 4-year course of study in a related field.
In addition to the Basic Requirements listed above, you must have the following:
Experience: One year of full-time experience (Federal or other) at the GS-11 level that is close or similar to the work of this job. The experience includes activities such as conceptualizing, developing, and implementing exhibitions, research projects, curricular materials, and public programs about Asian Pacific American history, art and culture. The experience also includes developing pan-institutional partnerships to provide leadership, coordination, and insight for the effective integration of the Asian Pacific American experience in research, collection, and exhibition activities throughout the Smithsonian.
Part-time and/or unpaid experience related to this position will be considered to determine the total number of years and months of experience. Be sure to note the number of paid or unpaid hours worked each week.
For a full explanation of this option please see the Group Coverage Qualification Standards for Professional and Scientific Positions. Special Instructions for Foreign Education: If you are qualifying by education and/or you have education completed in a foreign college/university described above, it is your responsibility to provide transcripts and/or proof of U.S. accreditation for foreign study. For instructions on where to fax these documents, see the "Required Documents" section of this announcement.
Qualification requirements must be met within 30 days of the job announcement closing date.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be used to evaluate your experience, education, and/or training that address the competencies below:
- Ability to plan and produce history, art and culture initiatives such as exhibitions, festival programs, and media products which focus on the APA and cross-cultural experiences.
- Knowledge of and experience with APA history, art and culture and possess specialized knowledge of the Asian American experiences (ex. African American, American Indian, Latino) and/or specialized field (ex. urban, gender, diaspora, or media studies).
- Ability to develop strong partnerships, work collaboratively and serve effectively as a team member and leader with internal and external customers to the Smithsonian Institution.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively in writing to prepare articles or documents for archival preservation, publication or presentation.
- Ability to communicate orally effectively and persuasively to a diverse audience.
Applicants who meet or exceed minimum qualifications will be assigned to one of three category groups based on job-related criteria: Best Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and excels in most of the job related competencies above. Better Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements and satisfies most of the job related competencies above. Good Category - Meets the minimum qualification requirements, but does not satisfy most of the job related competencies above to a substantive degree. This category rating process does not add veterans' preference points or apply the "rule of three", but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. A selecting official may make selections from the highest quality category (Best Category) provided no preference eligible in that category is passed over to select a non-preference eligible in that category unless the requirements of 5 U.S.C. 3317(b) or 3318(b) are satisfied. Preference eligibles who meet minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category, except when the position being filled is scientific or professional at the GS-9 grade level or higher. Applicants who have not submitted a resume in the USAjobs system and/or have not answered all of the vacancy questions will not be considered for this position. Important Note: The review of your resume will determine your final rating and should provide sufficient information regarding how your education and experience relate to this position, including the major duties and qualifications criteria listed. To preview questions please click here.