Basic Qualification Requirements for Medical Officer, GS-602-13/14/15:
Have a Degree: Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy from a school in the United States or Canada approved by a recognized accrediting body in the year of the applicant's graduation. [A Doctor of Medicine or equivalent degree from a foreign medical school that provided education and medical knowledge substantially equivalent to accredited schools in the United States may be demonstrated by permanent certification by the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) (or a fifth pathway certificate for Americans who completed premedical education in the United States and graduate education in a foreign country).] You must submit a copy of your certification by the ECFMG.
Additional Qualification Requirements: In addition to meeting the Basic Qualification Requirements candidates must also:
For GS-602-13 Grade Level:
Have three years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
For GS-602-14 Grade Level:
Have four years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
For GS-602-15 Grade Level:
Have five years of residency training in the specialty of the position to be filled or equivalent experience and training.
NOTE: A residency program involves training in a specialized field of medicine in an institution accredited for training in the specialty by a recognized body of the American Medical Association (AMA) or AOA.
Foreign Education: If you are using education completed in foreign colleges or universities to meet the qualification requirements, you must show that the education credentials have been evaluated by a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign education programs and such education has been deemed equivalent to that gained in an accredited U.S. education program; or full credit has been given for the courses at a U.S. accredited college or university. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/.
Conditions of Employment:
1. Security and Background Requirements: If not previously completed, a background security investigation will be required for all appointees. Appointment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements may be grounds for appropriate personnel action. In addition, if hired, a background security reinvestigation or supplemental investigation may be required at a later time. Applicants are also advised that all information concerning qualifications is subject to investigation. False representation may be grounds for non-consideration, non-selection and/or appropriate disciplinary action.
2. E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant.
3. Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing.
4. All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement.
5. Financial disclosure statement may be required.
6. One-year probationary period may be required.
7. Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses may be paid.
8. Bargaining Unit Position: No
9. Drug Screening Required: No
10. Travel required with position: Some positions may require up to 25% travel.
11. Recruitment Bonus may be authorized.
12. Research position: Some positions may be: Research positions require, an evaluation of the scientific contributions, recognition an professional standing of the researcher as they relate to the position being filled will be made to determine qualifications. Candidates should include all pertinent information regarding their research accomplishments, e.g.list of publications and presentations.
13. Promotion potential: No
14. Supervisory position: Some positions may be: Supervisory positions, candidates must also have demonstrated or shown the potential to develop the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities. A supervisory probationary period may be required. Applicants should describe any previous experience or responsibilities which could be used in relation to the supervisory requirements of this position.
15. In addition to the normal salary, when applicable requirements are met, the position may provide additional compensation through one or more of the following: Physicians Comparability Allowance (PCA), Physicians Special Pay, Physicians and Dentist Pay under Title 38 (PDP), or a Recruitment Incentive.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
These positions will be filled through Direct Hire Authority (DHA). All applicants who meet basic qualification requirements normally will be forwarded to the Selection Official for further consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated and rated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Knowledge of public health and medical programs.
2. Knowledge of theories, principles, practices, and objectives of disease.
3. Ability to analyze data from studies and projects.