Qualification requirements in vacancy announcements are based on the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards Handbook, which contains federal qualification standards. This handbook is available on OPM's website at: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications.
There is no positive education requirement for the 1140 series.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience are qualifying for all grade levels for which both education and experience are acceptable.
Graduate Education: Major study -- international policy, international commerce, international management, intercultural relations, international development, global economy, government and foreign affairs, international business, international trade, international economics, international affairs, international relations, or other related fields of study.
If you are qualifying per education, THIS ANNOUNCEMENT REQUIRES TRANSCRIPTS.
* You must provide all transcripts from all degrees received (unofficial copies are acceptable) by the closing date of this announcement. Individuals who are selected must be prepared to provide official transcripts.
* If course content cannot be easily identified from the title of the course as listed on your transcript, you must submit an official course description from the college/university that reflects the content at the time the course was taken.
* Foreign Education: To receive credit for education completed outside the United States you must show proof that the education has been submitted to a private organization that specializes in interpretation of foreign educational credentials and such education has been deemed at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education programs.
Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position. This experience need not have been in the federal government.
For the GS-09 level: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-07) in the Federal service. Specialized experience at this grade level is defined as experience in providing assistance to businesses involving the export of goods and services to foreign countries; and experience researching trade and economic data.
*You may also qualify: At the GS-9 level - with 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree.
For the GS-11 level: You must possess at least one year of specialized experience equivalent to the next to lower grade level (GS-09) in the Federal service. Specialized experience at this grade level is defined as experience in providing guidance and assistance to businesses involving the export of goods and services to foreign countries. Experience researching, interpreting and analyzing trade and economic data. Experience working with trade statutes and regulations, and meet the criteria for specialized experience outlined for the GS-09 grade level.
*You may also qualify: at the GS-11 level - Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.M., if related
NOTE: Your resume must clearly document specialized experience and support your responses to the vacancy questions
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications stated in the vacancy announcement, we will compare your resume, optional cover letter and supporting documentation to your responses on the scored occupational questionnaire (True/False, Yes/ No, Multiple Choice questions) and place you in one of three pre-defined categories. These categories are "gold," "silver," and "bronze." However, your resume and/or optional cover letter must support your responses to the scored occupational questionnaire, or your score may be lowered. Candidates placed in the "gold" category will be identified for referral to the hiring manager and may be invited for an interview.
How you will be evaluated for preference eligibility: Within each category, those entitled to veterans' preference will be listed at the top of the pre-defined category for which they are placed. Preference eligibles with a service-connected disability of 10% or more will be listed at the top of the highest quality category (gold) depending on the position and grade level of the job.
The assessment tool will evaluate you on the following competencies; please do not provide a separate written response:
* Knowledge of export marketing and promotion, foreign trade practices and international programs and policies.
* Ability to counsel US exporters.
* Ability to coordinate public and private sector organizations or government agencies to develop a common agenda, policies, and programs.
* Ability to conduct international business research and analyze foreign market data.
* Ability to organize seminars, meetings, conferences and other events.
* Ability to work with a team.
* Skilled in the area of email, internet, and client management systems.
This is a developmental position which leads to the full performance position. As the employee progresses in knowledge and skill, more difficult and responsible assignments will be made.
For more information on category rating, please go to: Category Rating. To preview questions please click here.