NASA Pathways candidates will meet the qualification requirements consistent with NASA and the OPM qualification standards applicable to the position being filled. Where appropriate, candidates will be required to meet NASA's Aeronautics, Scientific, and Technical (AST) qualification standards for the position(s) for which they are applying.
NOTE: While experience may be considered during the review process, candidates will be evaluated primarily on their education and degrees consistent with the intent of the Pathways Programs.
Applicants may qualify at the GS-5 level if they have completed a qualifying bachelor's degree
Applicants may qualify at the GS-7 level if they have completed a qualifying bachelor's degree and have met one of the below criteria
Applicants may qualify at the GS-7 level if they have completed a qualifying master's degree and have met one of the below criteria
(1) Are in the upper third of their class, based on completed college work at the time of filing an application. This is the upper third of the class in the college, university, or major subdivision (e.g., school of engineering).
(2) Have an average of 2.90 or better on a 4.0 scale for either all completed college work at the time of application or have all college courses completed during the last two years of the undergraduate curriculum.
(3) Have achieved a grade average of B+ (3.5 on a 4.0 scale) or better in the major field of study where such field is fully qualifying. This is either the average of all completed college work in the major field of study at the time of application or the average of all college courses completed in the major field of study during the last two years of the undergraduate curriculum. (Senior students may be rated provisionally eligible under one of those criteria provided they had the required average in the junior year. They shall be required to submit evidence at the time of appointment that the required average was maintained during their senior year.)
(4) Have been elected to membership in one of the national honorary scholastic societies meeting the minimum requirements of the Association of College Honor Societies (other than freshman honor societies). (5) Have completed 12 months of student trainee experience (does not include periods of leave without pay) that includes at least one work period (2 months or 320 hours) equivalent to GS-5 or at least 15 months of appropriate student trainee experience which includes one work period equivalent to the GS-4 level.
(6) For engineering positions, have successfully completed a five-year program of study (e.g., one designed to be completed in no less than five years) or at least 160 semester hours leading to a bachelor's degree in an accredited college or university.
Many NASA positions have specific educational requirements, so we encourage you to provide a complete description of your educational achievements. Qualification requirements depend on the job being filled. Specific requirements will be identified in each vacancy announcement.
For the Recent Graduate program a participant must have completed a bachelor's or master's degree from an accredited institution within the previous two years. Veterans precluded by their military service obligation will have up to six years from their degree completion date to apply. In order to receive consideration, your resume MUST contain your complete degree information (i.e., cumulative GPA, type of degree received, major area of study, and date degree received MM/DD/YYYY). ) If this information is not provided, your education may not be appropriately evaluated and you may lose consideration for this position. If you are selected for this position, you will have to provide an official copy of your transcripts prior to entering on duty.
See NASA' Aerospace Technology (AST) qualification standards at AST Qualification Standards website
Basic Education Requirement: A bachelor's or master¿s degree from an accredited college or university with major study in Aeronautical Engineering, Aeronautics, Aerospace Engineering, Astronautical Engineering, Astronautics, Astronomy, Astrophysics, Biomedical Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, Ceramics, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science*, Earth and Planetary Science, Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Geology, Geophysics, Industrial Engineering, Materials Engineering, Materials Science, Mathematics (Pure or Applied), Applied Mechanics, Engineering Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering, Metallurgical Engineering, Metallurgy, Meteorology, Nuclear Engineering, Nuclear Engineering Physics, Oceanography, Optical Engineering, Physics, Applied Physics, Engineering Physics, Space Science, Structural Engineering, Welding Engineering or other appropriate physical science or engineering field. Degrees in engineering technology are not considered to be qualifying for this position. *Note: Curriculum must include 30 semester hours of course work in a combination of mathematics, statistics and computer science. Of the 30 semester hours, 15 must be in any combination of statistics and mathematics which includes differential and integral calculus.
U.S. citizenship is required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Candidates will be assessed either based solely on basic eligibility requirements or may include a qualitative rating of candidates. NASA Pathways candidates will meet the qualification requirements consistent with the OPM qualification standards applicable to the position being filled. Where appropriate, candidates will be required to meet NASA's Aeronautics, Scientific, and Technical (AST) qualification standards for the position(s) for which they are applying. Veterans' preference applies to all selections made under the Pathways authority in accordance with Part 302 of 5 CFR. Candidates who meet the minimum qualification requirements need not be further evaluated; however, if no further evaluation is done, qualified veterans have absolute preference. If candidates are further evaluated using NASA's category rating process, qualified veterans have absolute preference within the appropriate category.