To qualify for this position, your resume must show sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the position for which you are being considered. All qualification requirements, including completion of college degrees, must be met by June 30, 2013. Qualifying experience may be obtained in the private or public sectors.
Basic Requirements for Mechanical Engineer (0830)/Electrical Engineer (0850):
1. Successful completion (or will complete by June 30, 2013) a full four-year professional engineering curriculum leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in engineering from an accredited college or university that has an engineering curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). OR
2. Successful completion (or will complete by June 30, 2013) a full four-year professional engineering curriculum leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in engineering in an accredited college or university. The curriculum included differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties; and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics. OR
3. Successful completion of the Engineer-in-Training (EIT) examination and completed all the requirements for a bachelor's degree in engineering technology (BET) from an accredited college or university that included 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences as listed in "2" above. OR
4. Registered Professional Engineer in the District of Columbia, Guam, Puerto Rico, or any State in the U.S. The registration is based on a written examination given by the State Board. OR
5. Successful completion (or will complete by June 30, 2013) at an accredited college or university, at least 60 semester hours of courses in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences that included courses as described in "2" above, and are acceptable toward a degree in professional engineering. OR
6. Successful completion (or will complete by June 30, 2013) a four-year curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in a related scientific curriculum such as physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, hydrology, or geology. My work experience includes one or more years of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. OR
7. Successful completion of an engineering degree at a foreign college or university and the courses have been accepted for advanced credit in engineering by an accredited college or university in the United States or an organization recognized for specializing in the evaluation of foreign education has stated that the education is equivalent. Applicants must submit proof of this acceptance or evaluation with their application.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR Mechanical & Electrical Engineer (0830/850), FOR GS-7:
A degree that meets the requirements through one of the following methods, no more than 10% of academic credit can be based on pass/fail or similar non-traditional grading systems.
*2.95 GPA overall or last 2 yrs (= 10% Pass/Fail)
*3.45 GPA overall or last 2 yrs in major (= 10% Pass/Fail)
*Upper 1/3 ranking in graduating class (you must submit proof with your application)
*National Scholastic Honor Society. Membership in a freshman honor society cannot be used to meet the requirements of this provision. (You must submit proof with your application)
*Have successfully completed (or will complete by June 30, 2013) a 5-year program of study of at least 160 semester hours leading to a Bachelor of Engineering or higher degree in an accredited college or university.
OR You must have one year of graduate education (18 semester hours) related to Mechanical/Electrical engineering.
OR You must possess a combination of the required professional experience and graduate level of education to qualify for this position. (Only graduate education and only professional experience equivalent to the GS-5 or higher is creditable.)
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for Mechanical & Electrical Engineer (0830/850), FOR GS-9
One year of professional engineering experience in an appropriate field equivalent to GS-7 level work in the Federal service that has equipped me with the knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of an Engineer. Examples of qualifying experience include duties such as: Conducts cost estimates, and feasibility studies; reviews design proposals; and reviews reports of failures and recommends remedial action.
OR Education: Successful completion (or will complete by Jun 30, 2013) Two full years of progressively higher-level graduate education (36 semester hours) that leads to a Masters degree in the field of Mechnical/Electrical Engineer OR in a related field. OR A Masters Degree in Business Administration with a Bachelors degree in engineering.
OR Combination of Education and Experience: Applicants that possess a combination of the required professional experience and graduate level of education such that, when the percentages of the required graduate education and specialized experience are added together, they equal 100%. (Only graduate education and only professional experience equivalent to the GS-7 or higher is creditable.)
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site:
NOTE: APPLICANTS QUALIFYING BASED ON EDUCATION OR A COMBINATION OF EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE MUST SUBMIT A COMPLETE COPY OF THEIR TRANSCRIPTS. DEGREE AUDITS ARE NOT AN ACCEPTABLE SUBSTITUE FOR OFFICIAL/UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS. You may submit your transcripts or a list of courses, grades earned, completion dates, and quarter and semester hours earned, through the "Application Manager" or by fax. This is the only method in which transcripts can be submitted. Failure to provide this information may result in an ineligible rating. (Faxing instructions may be found under the "How to Apply" section.)
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the qualification requirements if the applicant can provide documentation indicating that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide such evidence when applying.
As part of the application process, applicants will be required to complete and submit an occupational questionnaire. To preview this questionnaire and determine if your experience matches the skills required for this position, click the following link: View Assessment Questions
Please read and follow the How to Apply section of this announcement to submit your application.
- A Secret security clearance is a requirement of this position. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal. If you possess a security clearance, please indicate the level and termination date in your resume.
- Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
- Applicants will be required to sign a mobility agreement upon acceptance of position. Failure to agree to mobility agreement will result in revocation of a position offer.
- A 40 hour work week is typical for this position.
- A tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to meet the pre-employment requirements, including failure to report to any of the scheduled appointments.
This position has promotion potential to the GS-12 grade. If selected below the full performance level, incumbent may be noncompetitively promoted to the next higher grade level after meeting all regulatory requirements, and upon the recommendation of management. Promotion is neither implied nor guaranteed.
This position is covered under the Defense Acquisition Workforce Improvement Act (DAWIA) and requires additional education, training and experience. Applicants should meet the DAWIA certification requirements for the applicable career field and be certified at Level 1 within 12 months of appointment and Level 2 within 24-36 months of appointment.
This position can be filled at either the GS-7 or GS-9.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Important Notes: Application procedures are specific to this vacancy announcement. Please read all the instructions carefully. Failure to follow the instructions may result in your not being considered for this position.
You will be rated based on your qualifications for this position as evidenced by experience, education and training you report relative to this position which shows that you possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Ability to apply standard engineering practices, methods, and techniques
- Knowledge of the basic theories, concepts, principles and design fundamentals of professional engineering and/or other engineering specialties and related engineering and physical science disciplines
- Knowledge of higher mathematics and computer science
- Ability to analyze technical material
- Ability to prepare written technical materials
You will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience meets the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the position and rated as shown below. Additional points are not added for veterans' preference; however, preference is still applied. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:
- Best Qualified- Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed will above the minimum requirements for announced position.
- Highly Qualified- Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for announced position.
- Qualified- Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position.
Within these categories, applicants eligible for veterans' preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.