Job Title: Equipment Specialist (Ordnance)Job Announcement Number: HRT-PM005-12-DE
Department: Department Of Homeland Security
Agency: U.S. Secret Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Wednesday, December 05, 2012 to
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
All United States citizens **This vacancy is being concurrently advertised under(HRT-PM005-12-MP Announcement Number) merit promotion procedures. For definitions of terms found in this announcement, please click here.
Do you desire to protect American interests and secure our Nation while building a meaningful and rewarding career? If so, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is calling. DHS components work collectively to prevent terrorism, secure borders, enforce and administer immigration laws, safeguard cyberspace and ensure resilience to disasters. The vitality and magnitude of this mission is achieved by a diverse workforce spanning hundreds of occupations. Make an impact; join DHS.
Building on a Tradition of Excellence and Meeting the Challenges of the Future The Secret Service is a premier law enforcement organization with two critical national security missions: protect our nation's leaders and to conduct criminal investigations. Our team members continue a tradition of excellence - whether investigating financial crime or protecting national and visiting foreign leaders. In the Secret Service, we serve the country with duty, loyalty, justice, integrity and courage. In the Secret Service, we:
- Protect the President, the Vice President, and other leaders; investigate threats against them; and safeguard their residences and other facilities
- Plan and implement security designs for National Special Security Events
- Investigate financial crimes including fraud, identity theft and computer-based attacks on banking or telecommunications infrastructure
Joining the Secret Service, Office of Human Resources and Training, James J. Rowley Training Center will allow you to use your expertise in the specialized field of weaponry and ammunition. The James J. Rowley Training Center is responsible for researching and recommending modifications to weapons and other related equipment in order to accommodate the needs of the Secret Service. Apply for this exciting opportunity to become a member of the Office of Human Resources and Training, James J. Rowley Training Center to support the Secret Service's mission by strengthening its highly-specialized and dedicated workforce to fulfill mission critical requirements. This Equipment Specialist (Ordnance) position starts at a salary of $74,872 (GS-12, step 1), with potential to $97,333 (GS-12, step 10). For more information on the Secret Service click here.
- U.S. citizenship is required.
DUTIES:Back to top
The selectee will serve as an Equipment Specialist (Ordnance) in the Office of Human Resources and Training, James J. Rowley Training Center. Typical work assignments include:
- Planning, developing and recommending modifications to weapons and other related equipment in order to accommodate the protective and investigative needs of the agency (i.e., inspection, repair, rebuild, build, and modify) all firearms, ammunition and related equipment.
- Developing and supervising the test and evaluation of ammunition, firearms and other complex products for possible acquisition; and conducting operations of complete ballistic laboratory, to include brass calibration, computer software, setup and operation of all equipment and evaluation results.
- Preparing technical responses to other law enforcement agencies and military facilities requesting information on weapons; conducting training courses and presentations on ammunition; and preparing comprehensive study reports (i.e., ammunition effectiveness), and documenting test results.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Qualifying specialized experience include any one of the following:
- Working as a skilled mechanic or maintenance worker, sales or service engineer, or planner or estimator in a technical group dealing with manufacture, utilization, repair, or operation of equipment.
- Reviewing and applying technical specifications and requirements.
- Analyzing equipment and forecasting spare parts requirements.
- Reading and interpreting engineering change orders, equipment requisitions, shop orders, and work orders.
- Analyzing contract specifications and examining pertinent equipment to determine if specifications are met.
- Analyzing or supervising maintenance, repair, or production operations to determine methods of improvement;
You qualify for the GS-12 level (starting salary $74,872) if you possess one year of specialized experience at the GS-11 level performing duties such as: conducting research, testing, storage, maintenance and issuance of firearms, ammunition and related equipment; and operating machine shop equipment to include Computerized Numerical Control (CNC) programming and ballistic laboratory equipment.
Qualifications Must Be Met The qualification requirements listed above must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
Conditions of Employment If selected for this position, you will be required to:
- Obtain and maintain a top secret clearance. Completion of a full field investigation is required before appointment.
- Submit to a drug test prior to your appointment and random drug testing while you occupy the position.
- Certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so, if you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959.
- May require exposure to loud noises, fumes, chemical explosives, lead and other hazards found in a firearms testing/training facility.
- May be required to stand for extended periods of time when providing course instruction.
- May require the employee to assist in carrying equipment and materials and in preparing classroom/training sites for specialized instruction.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you meet the minimum qualifications, a score will automatically be calculated based on your answers to the vacancy specific questions to place you in one of three categories. All answers provided in the online process must be substantiated by your resume. Upon review, your resume and/or supporting documents need to support your answer choices, in order to be considered and deemed eligible. The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Knowledge in the specialized field of weaponry, ammunition and related equipment to include weapon systems, operating principles, components construction, capabilities, uses, repair and maintenance to accommodate protective and investigative needs.
- Knowledge of current test procedures and standards in order to evaluate the effectiveness of various types of ammunition to include internal, external and terminal ballistics.
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing to instruct others on weapons, ammunitions and related equipment and draft technical information.
If you meet the minimum qualifications, you will be placed in one of the following categories: 1. Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria. 2. Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria. 3. Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities. If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPM's Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Best Qualified category for this position, as described above for this position. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement. Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans' preference, please click here. To preview questions please click here.
BENEFITS:Back to top
DHS offers competitive salaries and an attractive benefits package, including: health, dental, vision, life, and long-term care insurance; retirement plan; Thrift Savings Plan [similar to a 401(k)]; Flexible Spending Account; Employee Assistance Program; personal leave days; and paid federal holidays. Other benefits may include: flexible work schedules; telework; tuition reimbursement; transportation subsidies; uniform allowance; health and wellness programs; and fitness centers. DHS is committed to employee development and offers a variety of employee training and developmental opportunities. For more information, go to http://www.dhs.gov/careers
and select "benefits."
Relocation expenses will not be authorized.