In order to qualify for this position, your resume must provide sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are being considered. Your resume is the key means we have for evaluating your skills, knowledge, and abilities, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your experience.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS FOR ENGINEERS: To qualify for engineering positions with the Federal government requires successful completion of the basic requirements in A or B below.
A. Bachelor's or higher degree obtained from an accredited college or university, which included a major in engineering. To be acceptable, the curriculum must:
(1) Be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) as a professional engineering curriculum;
(2) Include differential and integral calculus and courses (more advanced than first-year physics and chemistry) in five of the following seven areas of engineering science or physics: (a) statics, dynamics; (b) strength of materials (stress-strain relationships); (c) fluid mechanics, hydraulics; (d) thermodynamics; (e) electrical fields and circuits; (f) nature and properties of materials (relating particle and aggregate structure to properties); and (g) any other comparable area of fundamental engineering science or physics, such as optics, heat transfer, soil mechanics, or electronics.
B. Combination of education and experience -- college-level education, training, and/or technical experience that furnished (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. The adequacy of such background must be demonstrated by one of the following:
1. Professional Registration: Current registration as a professional engineer by any State, the District of Columbia, Guam, or Puerto Rico.
2. Written Test: Evidence of having successfully passed the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam (formerly known as the Engineer-in-Training or EIT), or the written test required for professional registration, which is administered by the Boards of Engineering Examiners in the various States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and Guam.
3. Specified Academic Courses: Successful completion of at least 60 semester hours in the physical, mathematical, and engineering sciences and in engineering, which included the courses specified in paragraph A (2) above. The courses must be fully acceptable toward meeting the requirements of a professional engineering curriculum.
4. Related Curriculum: Successful completion of a curriculum leading to a bachelor's degree in engineering technology or in an appropriate professional field, such as physics, chemistry, architecture, computer science, mathematics, or hydrology may be accepted in lieu of a degree in engineering, provided the education was supplemented by at least 1 year of professional engineering experience acquired under professional engineering supervision and guidance. Ordinarily there should be either an established plan of intensive training to develop professional engineering competence, or several years of prior professional engineering-type experience, e.g., in interdisciplinary positions. (The above examples of related curricula are not all-inclusive.)
POSITIVE EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: This position has a Positive Education Requirement. In order to verify that you meet the positive education qualifications for this position, you should submit a complete copy of their transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (Course title, semester/quarter hours and grade). Failure to submit this information may result in an ineligible rating. You may submit your transcripts or list of college courses through the "Application Manager" or by fax. This is the only method in which transcripts can be submitted. Failure to provide this information may result in an ineligible rating. (Faxing instructions may be found under the "How to Apply" section.)
IN ADDITION TO BASIC REQUIREMENTS, APPLICANTS MUST HAVE:
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-11 grade level or pay band in the Federal service or equivalent experience in the private or public sector. Specialized experience is defined as experience that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled and has equipped you with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities, to successfully perform the duties of the position. Specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience managing complex and significant engineering projects related to waterfront facilities, dry docks or industrial facilities and systems.
- Experience working in dry dock, waterfront facilities, utilities, caisson maintenance, repair and safety certification, capstans, or industrial facilities and systems.
- Experience administering work involving operation and maintenance of dry docks, waterfront facilities, utilities, or industrial facilities and systems.
Additional qualification information can be found from the following Office of Personnel Management web site: http://www.opm.gov/qualifications/standards/IORs/gs0800/0800.htm
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
As part of the application process, you must complete and submit an occupational questionnaire. To preview this questionnaire and determine if your experience matches the skills required for this position, click the following link: View Assessment Questions
Are you using your education to qualify? For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you must submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned). See OPM's General Policies for information on crediting education.
Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the qualification requirements if the applicant can provide documentation indicating that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. It is the responsibility of the applicant to provide such evidence when applying for further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html
Selectee is required to participate in the Department of Defense direct deposit of pay program.
Selectee may be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
A Confidential security clearance is a requirement for this position. Failure to obtain and maintain the required level of clearance may result in the withdrawal of a position offer or removal.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
When the application process is complete, we will review your resume to ensure you meet the hiring eligibility and qualification requirements listed in this announcement. You will be rated based on the information provided in your resume and responses to the Occupational Questionnaire, along with your supporting documentation.
You will be rated under Category Rating procedures based on the extent to which your experience meets the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities for the position and rated as shown below. Additional points are not added for veterans preference; however, preference is still applied. Applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:
Best Qualified- Candidates in this category possess exceptional skills and experience to exceed well above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Highly Qualified-Candidates in this category possess good skills and experience above the minimum requirements for announced position.
Qualified- Candidates in this category meet the minimum experience requirements for announced position.
If, after reviewing your resume and supporting documentation, a determination is made that you inflated your qualifications and/or experience, your score may be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities or you may be found ineligible/not qualified.
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.