Specialized Experience Requirements
In order to be rated as qualified for this position, we must be able to determine that you meet the specialized experience requirement - please be sure to include this information in your resume. To be creditable, this experience must have been equivalent in difficulty and complexity to the next lower grade of the position to be filled. Examples for GS-07, operate as a member of a team with other foresters, technicians and specialists on forestry related projects. Delineate and traverse sale boundaries, gather technical data, assist in cruising and gathering timber stand data. For GS-08/09, conduct field surveys of timber sale boundaries, roads and property lines. Perform as timber sale contract administrator. Conduct 100% timber cruises or sample surveys to estimate volumes. Locate and mark road right-of-way boundaries, prepare economic appraisals for timber sales.
You must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Graduate education or an internship meets the specialized experience required above GS-5 only in those instances where it is directly related to the work of the position.
One full year of graduate education meets the requirements for GS-7, OR one year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-06 in the federal service.
One and a half years of graduate education meets the requirements for GS-8, OR one year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-07 in the federal service.
Two full years of graduate education or a master's degree meets the requirements for GS-9, OR one year of specialized experience equivalent to a GS-08 in the federal service.
One year of full-time graduate education is considered to be the number of credit hours that the school attended has determined to represent 1 year of full-time study.
If qualifying based on education you will need to clearly state your undergraduate/graduate degree(s) and submit your college transcripts or a listing of your college courses that includes hours and grades.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Upon receipt of your complete application package, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the basic qualification requirements. Your rating will be based on your responses to the Job Specific Questionnaire and the information stated in your resume. If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories: Best Qualified, Highly Qualified, or Qualified. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference will receive selection priority over non-veterans. In addition, interviews may be conducted for this position. The interviews may be conducted on a pass/fail basis or may be scored. The job specific questions relate to the following knowledge, skills and abilities required to do the work of this position.
1. Knowledge of tree and log identification to determine the proper tables to use for volume and grade.
2. Knowledge of computer hardware and software programs used in the cruiser/appraiser program to calculate cruise data and process appraisals. An understanding of the programming principles sufficient to edit and understand problems that arise from use of the computer for calculation.
3. Knowledge of the principles of forest mensuration and cruising, log scaling and grading rules to enable accuracy in measuring standing trees and bucked logs to determine the volume (board/cubic foot) content.
4. Knowledge of the principles of estimating market value and timber appraisal methodology.
5. Knowledge of common diseases and insect damage to trees and logs to aid in
determining defect which will affect net volume estimates. To preview questions please click here.