Applicants must demonstrate meeting the basic qualifications (I), technical qualifications (II), and the additional (executive core) qualifications (III) as noted below:
I. Basic Qualifications:
A. Possess a four year degree in accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.") You must submit transcript demonstrating related degree /coursework at time of application submission.
B. Have a combination of education and experience -- at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law. You must submit transcript demonstrating related degree /coursework at time of application submission;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination. You must submit proof of this at time of application submission;
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements. You must submit proof of this at time of application submission
II. Technical Qualifications: In addition to meeting the above, applicants must provide detailed narratives to support progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management skills and abilities below:
1. Providing authoritative advice and counsel to senior officials on complex financial management activities, including financial statement preparation, managing audits, and corrective action plans, and presentation of periodic financial statement of position to management associated with standard general ledger activity.
2. Planning, establishing and managing complex financial management and accounting programs for a large business entity, including developing policies and implementing major financial management systems.
3. Providing technical expertise on the laws, rules, and regulations pertaining to the financial aspects of an agency's mission or programs.
4. Serving as an expert on the financial, cost accounting and reporting concepts and principles, performance management concepts and internal control processes.
These technical qualifications must be addressed by all applicants who wish to be considered. Addressing this information may be found in the online assessment. If you are unable to address these online, you must upload your narrative responses addressing the above 4 technical qualifications (Each TQ is limited to 7500 characters). Please see the "How To Apply" section for further information on alternative methods to applying online.
III. ADDITIONAL QUALIFICATIONS - In addition to meeting the technical qualifications above, applicants must provide detailed narratives to support progressively responsible leadership experience that is indicative of senior executive level management capabilities related to the skills and abilities outlined using the following Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs):
EXECUTIVE CORE QUALIFICATIONS (ECQs):
*ECQ 1 Leading Change - This core qualification involves the ability to bring about strategic change, both within and outside the organization, to meet organizational goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to establish an organizational vision and to implement it in a continuously changing environment.
*ECQ 2 Leading People - This core qualification involves the ability to lead people toward meeting the organization's vision, mission, and goals. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to provide an inclusive workplace that fosters the development of others, facilitates cooperation and teamwork, and supports constructive resolution of conflicts.
*ECQ 3 Results Driven - This core qualification involves the ability to meet organizational goals and customer expectations. Inherent to this ECQ is the ability to make decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks.
*ECQ 4 Business Acumen - This core qualification involves the ability to strategically manage human, financial, and information resources.
*ECQ 5 Building Coalitions - This core qualification involves the ability to build coalitions internally and with other Federal agencies, State and local governments, nonprofit and private sector organizations, foreign governments, or international organizational to achieve common goals.
*Responses should summarize the applicant's experience in relation to the specific ECQ (noted above) and specific examples of accomplishments. Examples should be clear, concise, and emphasize your level of responsibilities, scope, and complexity of programs managed, program accomplishments with result of your actions, policy initiative, and level of contact. For each competency, you must describe an accomplishment which should include the following information:
· Situation - a general statement of the situation or circumstances surrounding what you accomplished/achieved.
· Actions - a precise description of exactly what you did (activities you performed, duties, and responsibilities.
· Outcomes - a description of the outcomes (the direct or indirect results or long-term impact of your accomplishment).
· The start and end dates of the time period during which the activities were performed.
Specific instructions for preparing your statement and definitions of these core qualifications are available at http://www.opm.gov/ses/references/GuidetoSESQuals_2010.pdf. You must submit narrative responses in the assessment section when applying online. If you are not able to take the assessment online, you must upload your narrative responses addressing each of the ECQs (Each ECQ is limited to 7500 characters). Please see the "How To Apply" section for further information on alternative methods to applying online.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants who do not demonstrate that they meet the Technical Qualifications and Executive Core Qualifications (ECQs) are eliminated from further consideration. Unless you are currently serving under a career Senior Executive Service appointment, are eligible for reinstatement into the Senior Executive Service, or have successfully completed a Senior Executive Service Candidate Development Program (CDP) approved and certified by OPM, you must address each of the above mandatory ECQs.
All qualification requirements must be met by 11:59 p.m. (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this vacancy announcement.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a preliminary review of your resume will be made to determine if you are qualified for this position. Qualified applicants will be evaluated by USAID's Executive Resources Board (ERB) rating panel to determine the "Best Qualified" applicants and will be based upon the degree to which you meet the ECQs. The ERB will refer the top applicants to the selecting official for consideration. As a prerequisite for an initial career appointment to the Senior Executive Service, individual's executive qualifications must also be certified by a Qualification Review Board (QRB) convened by the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM).
Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omission may affect your rating.