Job Title:Utility Systems Repairer Operator
Department:Department Of Agriculture
Agency:Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service
Job Announcement Number:24PQ-2013-0031
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Hour|
|Monday, December 03, 2012 to
Monday, December 10, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
|1 vacancy -
Beltsville, MD, USView Map|
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6PQ-2013-0024. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)
Relocation expenses will not be paid. The incumbent performs a variety of operations and functions relating to the adjustment, maintenance, repair, replacement, modification, and inspection of complex heating, ventilation, waste sterilization, emergency electrical generator, and air conditioning systems at the National Plant Germplasm Quarantine Center (NPGQC) in Beltsville, MD.
You can make a difference! The U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Marketing and Regulatory Programs (MRP) needs bright, energetic and committed professionals to facilitate the domestic and international marketing of U.S. agricultural products and to protect the health and care of animals and plants in the United States. MRP offers an array of occupations and is committed to diversity in the workplace. We operate in domestic and global markets. Be part of an organization that protects the health and agriculture of the American people. Join our team!
APHIS is an emergency response agency. This means that all Agency employees may be asked or assigned to participate in rotating temporary duty assignments to support emergency programs at some time during their careers with APHIS. For details click: APHIS Emergency Response
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Operates, maintains, and repairs three boilers that supply 180 degree Fahrenheit water 24/7 throughout the entire facility.
- Inspects boilers and auxiliary equipment for operation and preventive maintenance purposes, inspects and adjusts controls, and replaces or modifies major and minor parts.
- Operates, maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs two 150-ton air-cooled chillers that provide 42-degree chilled water for cooling all support/laboratory buildings for mission-critical areas.
- Performs routine servicing, diagnosis of refrigeration malfunctions, and repairs of compressors, condensers, liquid line solenoid and expansion valves and more.
- Operates, maintains, tests, alters, and assists in the major repairs of the NPGQC's emergency power generating systems, including two 750 kilowatt diesel generator sets.
- Maintains the generator in a ready state mode in order to guarantee 24/7 emergency power transfer capability, locating and diagnosing operational problems.
- Operates, inspects, and maintains the BSL-3AG microwave wastewater sterilization system and daily inspects the system in the containment area for correct operating parameters.
- Initiates the decontamination cycle; monitors batch runs through the system; and operates, maintains, and repairs the sewage ejector station.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you must show you have had training and experience of sufficient scope and quality to provide you with the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position. Your answers to the vacancy specific questions must be supported by the work experience in your resume. For example, if you respond in the affirmative when questioned whether you have experience maintaining or repairing boilers, your resume must include this experience, mindful that experience may not be inferred by job title.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one-year probationary period.
- Valid state driver's license is required at time of hiring and must be maintained throughout employment.
- Will be on-call for emergencies with an assigned pager or cell phone and may be required to work overtime or during non-duty hours to complete installation or system maintenance that cannot be worked on during normal hours or is of an urgent nature.
- Works inside the high containment area of a BSL-3AG facility that requires the ability to change clothing, redress to a work suit, and shower prior to exiting the facility.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry materials weighing up to 100 pounds.
- Must have good mechanical ability, dexterity, and agility.
- Work requires considerable standing, stooping, climbing, kneeling, and bending for long periods of time and working from heights.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Ability to do the work of a utility systems repairer-operator
- Knowledge of equipment assembly, installation, repair, etc.
- Technical practices and knowledge of materials
- Use of measuring instruments
- Ability to interpret instructions, specifications, blueprints, etc.
- Ability to use and maintain tools and equipment
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.