To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement. Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-9: Applicant must have completed 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or equivalent graduate degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, and mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management.
GS-11: Applicants must have completed 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in computer science, engineering, information science, information systems management, mathematics, operations research, statistics, or technology management.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if you are qualifying for the position based on education. This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-9, 11, 12 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
Examples of Specialized Experience at the GS-9
- Experience and skill in applying IT principles, methods, and practices in the assigned technical area.
- Experience with IT systems development cycle management concepts and technical documentation methods and procedures.
- Experience evaluating established methods and procedures and preparing recommendations for changes in methods and practices where appropriate; ensuring the application of appropriate security measures to the assignment.
Examples of Specialized Experience at the GS-11/12
- Experience in applying mobile application design concepts and systems architecture principles and methods, practices, and procedures in order to design, test, and debug Agency mission critical software database applications.
- Experience in applying program software using mainstream computer programing languages, using development and testing tools, in order to conduct and review plans for the technically feasible development applications.
- Experience with mainstream database management systems, including proficient in SQL programming, and working knowledge of data warehousing technologies in order to develop and integrate NRCS databases to ensure applications are consistent with current and planned infrastructure data environments.
In addition, all applicants qualifying based on experience must have IT-related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below. Applicants must demonstrate possession of these competencies within the body of the resume; no separate statements addressing them are required.
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
THERE IS NO EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION FOR THE GS-12 GRADE LEVEL.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Periodic (10 to 30 percent) travel may be required to field sites and contractor locations for a variety of meetings and reviews of automation activities.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Communication Skills
- Organization Skills & Teamwork
- Staff Leadership, Program & Project Management
- Application Software Development
- Systems Analysis - in relation to software development
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.