Job Title: Writer EditorJob Announcement Number: 24HQ-2013-0030
Department: Department Of Agriculture
Agency: Natural Resources Conservation Service
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Monday, December 03, 2012 to
Friday, April 5, 2013
SERIES & GRADE:
WHO MAY APPLY:
This announcement is open to all United States citizens. (Current and Former Federal employees may also apply with a separate application to Merit Promotion vacancy announcement #6HQ-2013-0027. For information on viewing Merit Promotion announcements, click Locating a Status Position on USAJOBS.)
Relocation expenses will not be paid.
This position is located in the Public Affairs Division (PAD) Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) National Headquarters, Washington, DC and reports to the Team Leader, executive Correspondence Management Team (ECMT). The incumbent is responsible for drafting, editing, routing, and managing correspondence responses which are designated for signature by the NRCS Chief, Under Secretary for Natural Resources and Environment, and the Secretary of Agriculture.
The Natural Resources Conservation Service provides leadership in a partnership effort to help conserve, maintain, and improve our natural resources and environment. http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/
DUTIES:Back to top
The duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Write and edit various types of correspondence and documents.
- Perform final editing review of drafts and assist with the development of correspondence requiring the Chief’s signature including letters for Members of Congress, high level officials in USDA, other Federal Departments, or other important officials and constituents.
- Provide assistance to the Team Leader and Director with maintenance of a highly efficient and timely correspondence system.
- Originate new materials and innovative processes required to achieve and maintain high quality correspondence objectives.
- Prepare draft responses often on a short timeframe.
- Maintain correspondence-related data to track correspondence and support professional management of NRCS correspondence.
- Develop a system and organize information in such a manner that it is easily accessible, retrievable, and reportable by all ECMT staff if necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
Successful completion of a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or 3 full years of progressively higher-level graduate level education leading to a degree in Journalism, English, Communication, or related field.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors.
Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Experience applying expert knowledge and skill in the principles, methods, practices, and techniques in Executive Correspondence Management, with emphasis on writing, editing, and managing correspondence for an executive or a large organization.
- Experience using and implementing the appropriate correspondence management tools to improve processes and convey to varied audiences a range of Agency activities, information and business processes.
- Experience processing and routing for clearances correspondence for an executive.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL:
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following:
Combining Education and Experience for Administrative and Management Positions
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of one year probationary period.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Writing Skills to include knowledge of grammar, writing, editing and style guide requirements of the Agency.
- Knowledge and understanding of correspondence processes common to a large national organization.
- Ability and skill drafting and editing written materials that convey information of the organization’s complex programs and functions for specialized audiences and the general public.
- Knowledge of publishing concepts, practices, standards, and media technologies, as well as, the use of analytical tools and techniques sufficient to identify obstacles and help develop correspondence processes and responses that are efficient, timely, accurate, and always of high quality.
- Skill with executive correspondence, electronic clearance processes, teamwork, and proprietary word processing and publishing software.
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.