Job Title: Business Management SpecialistJob Announcement Number: NETL-13-MP-004
Department: Department Of Energy
Agency: Department of Energy
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Thursday, November 29, 2012 to
Monday, December 10, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
This is a full-time position. -
This is a permanent position.
WHO MAY APPLY:
Applications will be accepted from current NETL Federal Employees in the Competitive Service. (1 vacancy exists that may be filled at Albany, OR, Morgantown, WV or Pittsburgh, PA)
The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) implements research, development, and demonstration programs to resolve the environmental, supply, and reliability constraints of producing and using fossil resources. This position is located in the Strategic Center for Coal, Office of Coal & Power R&D, Gasification Division.
The incumbent of this position serves as a Business Management Specialist in support of RD&D projects and/or subprojects within the Gasification Division (GD). While the incumbent will reside in the GD, it is expected that the incumbent will also support the Fuels Division (FD). The GD implements and manages research and development projects within the Strategic Center for Coal (SCC) for the development of cost-effective, reliable gasification-based technologies to produce synthesis gas for power generation, hydrogen and gasification production and provides technology that is amenable for carbon capture.The incumbent is the focal point for all business activities and facilitates the development of planning and implementation documents in support of the divisions and the technology managers.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Relocation expenses are not authorized.
DUTIES:Back to top
As a Business Management Specialist, the incumbent will:
- Maintain databases and spreadsheets that track division data;
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and “ad hoc” reports, charts, and tables on division activities;
- Coordinate all GD Site Support work as well as serves as Task Monitor on many subtasks;
- Manage non-R&D contracts and financial assistance projects in compliance with OMB and DOE HQ guidance; and
- Evaluate proposals and assess financial and market capability for future business needs.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
Your application must document that you meet the following requirements:
For GS-13 you must have at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience at this grade is typically defined as experience with the business, financial or economic aspects of obtaining successful project financing for the oil and gas industry and the contractual principles, policies and procedures related to obtaining successful financial closings and project outcomes. See Qualification Standard website.
TIME IN GRADE REQUIREMENT (TIG) Current federal employees applying for a promotion opportunity must meet TIG requirements with one year of service at the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the position being filled. This requirement must be met within 30 days of the closing date of this announcement. Reinstatement eligible candidates that have held a GS (or equivalent) position within the preceding 52 weeks are subject to TIG restrictions per 5 CFR 300.603.
United States Citizenship
This position may require overnight travel
This position is in the bargaining unit.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The score is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for this position. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have exaggerated or failed to include your qualifications and/or experience, your score can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. You will be evaluated on the vacancy related questions that were designed to assess your overall possession of the following competencies, knowledge, skill, and abilities:
To preview questions please click here.
- Knowledge of DOE and NETL regulations, policies, and procedures regarding financial accounting, contracting, procurement and acquisition, and the associated tools and information systems.
- Ability to develop and use databases (e.g. Access or Oracle) project management (Microsoft Project or Primavera Project Planner) software, and Computer based spreadsheets (e.g. Microsoft Excel or Quattro Pro) to analyze cost, financial, and project related information.
- Knowledge of corporate organizational structure, project financing, private and federal contracting, accounting, and business law.
- Skill in performing financial assessments of energy markets for gasification and other technologies to identify federal actions to increase market acceptance or remove barriers to market acceptance.
- Skill in oral and written communications in order to present complex financial and business reports and information.