Job Title: Supervisory Attorney-AdvisorJob Announcement Number: 13-007
Department: National Foundation on the Arts and the Humanities
Agency: National Endowment for the Humanities
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year
Tuesday, November 27, 2012 to
Monday, December 10, 2012
SERIES & GRADE:
Full Time -
1 vacancy in the following location:
Washington DC, DC United StatesView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
All groups of qualified individuals within the civil service
NEH is an independent grant-making agency of the government dedicated to supporting research, education, preservation, and public programs in the humanities.
The incumbent is responsible for providing legal advice to agency officials on a broad range of topics concerning the activities of the NEH. This incumbent supervises the work of other attorney-advisors and administrative personnel and participates in researching complex questions of law; preparing draft regulations, legal opinions, legal briefs, and memoranda; drafting interagency agreements, partnership agreements with non-governmental organizations, and negotiating contracts; supporting activities of the National Council on the Humanities; and providing legal guidance to and representing the agency in ethics, personnel, labor relations, FOIA, and civil rights matters. The Supervisory Attorney-Advisor consults with legal representatives at high levels in other agencies, members of the public, service organizations, and others to gather necessary information to analyze complicated legal questions.
- U.S. Citizen
- Relevant experience and/or education
- Favorable background investigation
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service
DUTIES:Back to top
· Renders legal advice to key agency officials on a broad range of legal questions concerning the activities of the NEH.
· Interprets NEH enabling legislation, conflicts of interest and ethics questions.
· Reviews and approves for legality all contracts, agreements, and legal documents.
· Conducts, or participates in, discussion with Congressional Committee staffs, Office of Management and Budget officials, and other federal and state officials concerning legal questions involved in projects or productions sponsored by NEH.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
At the GS-15 level: Candidates must possess a J.D. and at least 1 year of specialized experience that must have been comparable to the GS-14 level in the Federal service.
Specialized experience is experience performing high-level legal work, as well as demonstrated ability to provide counsel for an agency head or equivalent level.
Applicants must possess a J.D. or equivalent degree and be a member in good standing of a recognized bar of a State, a Territory of the United States, or the District of Columbia
Your application will be assessed based on your possession of the following knowledge, skills, abilities, and/or competencies:
- Executive legal experience with demonstrated ability to serve as legal counsel for an agency head or equivalent level.
- Experience with a broad range of federal legal matters, including conflicts-of interest and ethics issues, constitutional issues, First Amendment law, appropriations law, civil rights law, employment law, administrative law, contracts law, laws relating to federal grant programs, and other federal legal matters.
- Leadership experience in a federal legal office.
- Writing, speaking, analytical, and research skills.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
If after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience your rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS will receive a rating of IFM (ineligible due to missing forms). Requests for reconsideration will not be considered for applicants who fail to submit a complete application package. We cannot be held responsible for incompatible software, fax transmissions, delays in mail service, etc.
Only send documentation as requested/required by this announcement and that directly supports your qualifications for this position.