GS-5: You qualify at the GS-5 grade level if you possess one of the following:
- One year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-4 grade level that demonstrates the ability to collecting data, organizing data into a usable format, and using personal computers and software to enter and retrieve data form an automation information system and various types of software; answering routine questions from other employees and distributing information to appropriate personnel; receiving, assigning, monitoring, reviewing and verifying documents through an automated information system; searching office records to respond to inquiries. OR
- Successful completion of a full four-year course of study above the high school level in any field for which high school graduation or the equivalent is the normal prerequisite can be substituted for specialized experience. This education must have been obtained in an accredited business, secretarial or technical school, junior college, college or university. One year of full-time academic study is defined as 30 semester hours, 45-quarter hours, or the equivalent in a college or university, or at least 20 hours of classroom instruction per week for approximately 36 weeks in a business, secretarial, or technical school.
GS-6: You qualify at the GS-6 level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-5 grade level in the Federal Government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. In addition to the requirements for the lower grade levels, you must also have experience performing the following duties:
- Assisting Analysts with inspections and preparation of reports and procedure planning;
- Assisting in compilation of statistical information from automated resources to be used in past, current and future evaluations of data quality;
- Collecting data from multiple sources; searching databases and legal documents for relevant information;
- Communicating in writing and/or in person to assist aliens, attorneys, other law enforcement agencies.
- GS-7: You qualify at the GS-7 grade level if you possess one (1) year of specialized experience, equivalent to at least the GS-6 grade level in the Federal Government, which has equipped you with the skills needed to successfully perform the duties of the position. In addition to the requirements for the lower grade levels, you must also have experience performing the following duties:
- Compiling statistical information from automated resources to be used in past, current and future evaluations of data quality
- Resolving routine problem regarding immigration cases, researching and interpreting guidelines for use in reports and cases
- Providing guidance on immigration policies, procedures and regulation
COMBINING QUALIFYING EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
If you do not qualify based on experience or education alone, you may be able to qualify based on a combination of your experience and education. Follow the directions below in order to convert each to a percentage, and then add the percentages together to see if they total 100 percent. To determine your percentage of qualifying experience, you must divide your total number of months of qualifying experience by the required number of months of experience. The GS-5 level requires 36 months. To calculate your percentage of undergraduate education, divide your number of undergraduate semester hours by 120 or the number of quarter hours by 180.
Probationary Period: You may be required to serve a probationary period of 1 year.
The qualifications for this position must be met by 11:59pm (Eastern Time) on the closing date of this announcement (Friday, December 14, 2012).
Typing Certification: You must be able to type at least 40 words per minute. You can self certify by submitting a statement that you can type this speed.
General Office Skills: Applicants must possess knowledge of general office automation software, practices, and procedures.
Physical Demands: Applicants must be able to lift moderately heavy items such as file tubs and record boxes or bins weighting up to 50 lbs
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
We will review your résumé and supporting documentation to ensure you meet the minimum qualification requirements. If you meet the minimum qualifications, we will place you in one of three categories based on your responses to the on-line questionnaire regarding experience, education and training.
- Best Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a superior level of all evaluation criteria.
- Well-Qualified: Applicants possessing a background that demonstrates a satisfactory level of the evaluation criteria.
- Qualified: Applicants possessing the basic qualifications, with general knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The competencies or knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to perform this job are:
- Manages and Organizes Information
- Oral and Written Communication
- Customer Service
NOTE: Your resume and supporting documentation will be verified. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your application material, you may be excluded from consideration for this job. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment
If you are best qualified, you may be referred to the hiring manager for consideration and may be called for an interview. To preview the job questionnaire, click here View Assessment Questions
Agency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP) or the Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP) Eligibles: If you have never worked for the Federal government, you are not CTAP/ICTAP eligible. Information about ICTAP or CTAP eligibility can be found by clicking here to access OPMs Career Transition Resources website. To be considered well qualified under CTAP/ ICTAP, you must be placed in the Well-Qualified category for this position, as described above. In addition, you must submit the supporting documents listed under the required documents section of this announcement.
Veterans: Veterans with 5-point preference who meet the eligibility and qualification requirements are placed above non-preference eligibles within the category in which they qualify. Veterans who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% are listed in the best qualified category, except when the position being filled is scientific, professional at the GS-09 grade level, or higher. This position is not considered scientific/professional. For information on veterans preference, please click here.