To qualify, you MUST meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of the announcement.
A. Degree in biological sciences, agriculture, natural resource management, chemistry, or a closely related discipline appropriate to the position.
Selective Factor: The qualifying degree must have included at least 24 semester hours in course work, such as agronomy, cell biology, botany, entomology, forestry, horticulture, mycology, nematology, plant pathology, soil science, or other closely related courses. Applicants who do not possess or fail to submit documentation of completion of this requirement will be found not qualified.
B. Combination of education and experience – courses equivalent to a major as shown in A above, including the Selective Placement Factor, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
IN ADDITION TO MEETING THE BASIC REQUIREMENTS LISTED ABOVE: Applicants can qualify by meeting the EDUCATION requirements specified below and/or the SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE requirements.
GS-11: Three years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. degree or Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree in agronomy, cell biology, botany, entomology, forestry, horticulture, mycology, nematology, plant pathology, soil science, or a closely related discipline.
GS-12: THERE IS NO EDUCATION SUBSTITUTION FOR THIS GRADE LEVEL.
TRANSCRIPTS are required if:
- This position requires specific coursework or a degree in a specific field to be basically qualified.
- You are qualifying for the position based on education.
- You are qualifying for this position based on a combination of experience and education.
This education must have been successfully completed and obtained from an accredited school, college, or university. For more information on submitting transcripts, click: Transcripts.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11/12 GRADE LEVELS
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent in level of difficulty and responsibility to the next lower level in the Federal Service. This experience may have been obtained in the private or public (local, county, state, Federal) sectors. Examples of qualifying experience include, but are not limited to:
- Leading, motivating, and evaluating performance for work-unit employees; mediating issues that could lead to conflict.
- Training, developing, and/or coaching a wide range of subordinate employees (e.g. professional, administrative, students); holding all employees accountable for assigned work.
- Planning and executing special projects; making timely and informed decisions, when unexpected changes occur.
- Recruiting, interviewing, and hiring employees.
Supervisors within the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) are required to display proficiency in the following five competencies essential for leading and managing people – Accountability, Conflict Management, Developing Others, Human Capital Management, and Leveraging Diversity. Examples of these competencies include holding self and others accountable for measurable high-quality, timely, and cost-effective results; anticipating and taking steps to prevent counter-productive confrontations; developing staff members by providing coaching, training, regular guidance and career development opportunities; ensuring that employees are appropriately recruited, selected, appraised, and rewarded; taking appropriate action to address performance problems, and fostering an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
COMBINATION OF EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE AT THE GS-11 GRADE LEVEL
Applicants may have combinations of successfully completed education and specialized experience to meet total qualification requirements. The total percentages must equal at least 100 percent to qualify for that grade level. To learn more about combining education and experience for this series, click the following: Combining Education and Experience for Professional and Scientific Positions
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered with the Selective Service.
- DD214 (Member 4 copy) or other veterans' documents required to receive veterans' preference.
- As a condition of employment, a background investigation may be required for this position.
- If you are appointed to a supervisory or managerial position, you may be required to complete a one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period.
- Subject to satisfactory completion of a one-year probationary period.
- Transcripts must be submitted for this position.
- Must maintain a security clearance level sufficient to perform the essential functions of this position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. Your resume must support that you meet the specialized experience requirements described above and are proficient in the following skills or competencies below. Please note you are not required to provide specific narrative responses to the skills and competencies described in this section.
- Accountability, Conflict Management, Developing Others, Human Capital Management, Leveraging Diversity, Other Supervisory Competencies
- Written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Leadership, supervisory, project management, and program management skills
- Knowledge and experience with pest surveys and survey supplies
- Category rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. The following quality categories will be used: Best Qualified, Well Qualified, and Qualified. Within each quality category, veterans' preference eligibles will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
- Your final category placement will be based on your responses to the assessment questionnaire. Please ensure your resume provides enough detail to support your responses.
- If, after reviewing your resume and / or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your score can / will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating. Deliberate attempts to falsify information may be grounds for not selecting you.