Job Title:Economist, GS-0110-09, (Open to U.S. Citizens) CAH
Department:Department Of Transportation
Agency:Research and Innovative Technology Administration
Job Announcement Number:RITA.VOLPE-2013-0019
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Wednesday, November 21, 2012 to
Friday, November 30, 2012|
SERIES & GRADE:
|Full Time -
2 Year Term Appointment. May be extended up to 2 additional years.|
|FEW vacancies in the following location:|
Cambridge, MA, USView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|Applications will be accepted from any U.S. citizen.|
The Center is part of the U.S. Department of Transportation's Research and Innovative Technology Administration and is an innovative, Federal, fee-for service organization. Our mission is to improve the Nation's transportation system. Our work is performed for U.S. DOT, as well as other Federal, state, local, and international agencies and entities.
The Volpe Center's Economic Analysis Division is seeking talented, entry-level economists interested in joining our consulting team to support our clients in the development and use of decision support tools, and in the analysis of policy and program options for transportation systems. In this role, you will support senior staff conducting analyses of national and urban transportation policies, and play a key role in the development of benefit cost models, regulatory assessments, performance metrics, strategic plans, and market analysis. These are great opportunities for new professionals with strong quantitative background in economic data analysis who enjoy working in an entrepreneurial and collaborative environment. You must have superb problem-solving, communication, and presentation skills. Experience or interest in transportation is a plus. Transcripts are required (see How to Apply tab for instructions). In anticipation of being considered for an interview, you will be asked to submit writing samples.
When you work at the Volpe Center you work with people like you –talented professionals who enjoy applying their expertise in the service of others and resolving real-world transportation problems. We are located in the culturally diverse and academically rich city of Cambridge, MA (Kendall Square), and offer competitive benefits, and a flexible and family-friendly work environment including on-site child-care services.
- You must be a U.S. citizen & meet specialized experience to qualify.
- Submit application and resume online by 11:59 PM EST on the closing date.
- Review Required Documents Section as documents are required by closing date
- Position is telework eligible.
- Job announcement may be used to fill similar positions within 30 days.
- 2 Year Term Appointment. May be extended up to 2 additional years.
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Economist you will:
- Participate on project teams by gathering and analyzing data using a variety of specified analytical techniques including literature reviews.
- Conduct economic research, analyze and interpret economic data; develop estimates of benefits; and report the results of findings under the guidance of a senior Economist.
- Participate in planning and scheduling activities with program manager's guidance; execute tasks as planned; monitor progress, resolve basic problems and keep program manager informed of project status.
- Communicate and present economic concepts and quantitative data, orally and in writing, especially to non-technical audiences, and works collaboratively with other economists.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
To meet the minimum qualifications for this position, you must (1) meet the Education Requirement for the series, (2) provide a copy of transcripts for verification, AND (3) meet either the education or experience qualifications for the grade at which you are requesting consideration.
Applicants must meet all qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
||To qualify on Education, you must have:
||To qualify on Experience, you must have one year of specialized experience equal or equivalent to the following:
||2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree OR master's or equivalent graduate degree
- Experience conducting literature reviews, and analyzing datasets using econometrics or benefit cost analysis.
||You can also qualify based on a combination of education and experience
Mandatory Educational Requirement:
Degree: economics, that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semester hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
Combination of education and experience -- courses equivalent to a major in economics, as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
- GOVERNMENT TRAVEL CARD REQUIREMENT: You must be able to obtain and retain a Government contractor-issued travel card to be used for official business as a condition of employment. If unable to obtain and/or retain a card, you may be subject to removal. Those who fail to meet this condition of employment will have our offer of employment rescinded.
- Applicants selected under delegated examining procedures may be required to successfully complete a one-year probationary period.
- Males born after 12/31/59 must be registered for Selective Service.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
BASIS FOR RATING: If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of four categories: Platinum, Gold, Silver or Bronze, which is based upon your responses to the vacancy questions. Within these categories, applicants eligible for veteran's preference that have provided supporting documents will receive selection priority over non-veterans.
The top rated applications will be reviewed for the quality of your experience, education and training relevant to the position. If your resume does not support the specialized experience or if your application does not support your answers to the Vacancy Specific Questions, your final rating may be modified and/or you may be disqualified from consideration. To preview questions please click here.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
You must submit a complete application package (including resume, vacancy questions and supporting documents) no later than midnight Eastern Time on the closing date of the announcement.
- To begin, click the "Apply Online" button on the job announcement posting.
- Follow the directions to register, submit all required documents and complete the assessment questionnaire.
- You may review your saved application(s) at https://my.usajobs.gov.
If you are having difficulty applying online, please contact the DOT Automated Staffing Office during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. ET) at (202) 366-1298. You may also email us at Transjobs@dot.gov.
The following documents must
be provided by the close date:
- RESUME - showing relevant experience and education that fully supports the specialized experience must be provided using the resume builder from USAJobs. In addition, for this RITA position, you are asked to provide a pre-formatted version of your resume during the application process
- COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE
- TRANSCRIPTS - since this vacancy lists required education, you must submit a copy of your college transcript, or an SF-50 showing that you have already qualified and worked in the federal service in this series. In addition, if you are using education in lieu of experience, your transcripts must show that you meet the educational requirement for this position.
- VETERANS: In order to be considered as a 5-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty, DD214. Your DD-214 must show the type of discharge and dates of active duty. If you are claiming 10-point preference eligible, you must submit a copy of your DD214; an Application for 10-point Veteran's Preference, SF15; and the proof of entitlement of this preference which is normally an official statement, dated 1991 or later, from the Department of Veterans Affairs certifying to the present existence of the service-connected disability and indicating the percentage of your disability. Without this documentation, you will not receive veteran's preference. Additional information on veterans' preference is available in the Vet's Guide at: http://www.opm.gov/veterans/html/vetguide.htm
- SPECIAL APPOINTING AUTHORITY DOCUMENTS - If requesting concurrent consideration for Non-competitive (NC) appointment eligibility (e.g. military spouse or persons with disabilities), you must provide appropriate supporting documentation such as PCS orders describing move & marriage certificate; letter from VA or DD214 describing 100% disability of spouse; letter from State Vocational Office certifying disability, etc. For more information, visit military spouse NC appointments or Persons with Disabilities NC appointments. Documents are only required if requesting non-competitive consideration
- DISPLACED EMPLOYEE PLACEMENT DOCUMENTS - Only required if requesting priority consideration under CTAP/ICTAP. You must submit ALL of the FOLLOWING: your most recent performance appraisal, the proof of eligibility letter from the Agency and your most current SF-50, displaying current series and grade. In addition, you MUST meet the well qualified standards for this vacancy (meeting minimum requirements for position and scoring at least an 78)
Failure to submit any of the required documents by the closing date of the vacancy will result in your removal from consideration for this position.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You may check your application status by logging into USAJobs.com. (Select "My USAJOBS" and click "Applications"). Within two weeks of the closing date, a Human Resources Specialist will evaluate your application. Ratings will be determined based on the documents and information received by the closing date. Qualified candidates will be assigned rating category, prior to applying appropriate veterans' preference. The most highly qualified candidates are then referred to the hiring manager for further consideration. If you are selected for an interview, we will contact you directly. Once the position is filled, we will notify all applicants of their final status.