Job Title:IT SPECIALIST (SA/AS)
Department:Department Of The Treasury
Agency:Internal Revenue Service
Job Announcement Number:13CE2-ITX0043-2210-14-AC
This position is closed and no longer accepting online applications through USAJOBS.
The contents of the announcement can still be viewed.
/ Per Year|
|Monday, November 26, 2012 to
Wednesday, February 13, 2013|
SERIES & GRADE:
|FULLTIME PERMANENT -
|1 vacancy in the following location(s):|
Lanham, MDView Map
Austin, TXView Map
Commerce, TXView Map
Farmers Branch, TXView Map
Ogden, UTView Map
WHO MAY APPLY:
|U.S. CITIZENS, NO PRIOR FEDERAL EXPERIENCE IS REQUIRED.|
WHY IS THE IRS A GREAT PLACE TO WORK? At the IRS, you will use your skills in accounting, business, finance, law enforcement, information technology, advocacy and more to help make America stronger. The IRS is one of the largest financial institutions in the world and the work we do helps fund America. We are counting on bright, talented and dedicated individuals like you to achieve our goals. You will be both challenged and supported so whether you are just starting out or looking for new opportunities, consider the IRS and start making a difference today.
The U.S. Department of the Treasury has a distinguished history dating back to the founding of our nation. As the steward of U.S. economic and financial systems, Treasury is a major and influential leader in today's global economy. We have over 100,000 employees across the country and around the world. Come Join the Department of the Treasury and Invest in Tomorrow.
WHAT IS THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE (IRS)? The IRS is a bureau of the Department of the Treasury and one of the world's most efficient tax administrators. Yearly, the IRS collects more than $2 trillion in revenue and processes over 200 million tax returns. The IRS Mission is to provide the United States taxpayers top quality service by helping them understand and meet their tax responsibilities and by applying the tax law with integrity and fairness to all.
WHAT DOES AN IT SPECIALIST DO? As an Information Technology Specialist, you will work with the latest technology in one of the largest financial institutions in the world.
WHAT IS THE IRS INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION?
The mission of IRS Information Technology is to provide leadership in the delivery of information technology solutions that anticipate and meet enterprise-wide needs by empowering employees to deliver customer-centered, value-creating systems, products, services, and support.
1 (one) Position located ACA Wide to be filled in any of the following locations:
Lanham, MD - Austin, TX - Dallas, TX - Farmers Branch, TX or Ogden, UT.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT OTHER IRS CAREERS? If you want to find out more about IRS careers, visit us on the web at www.jobs.irs.gov
- Please click "Print Preview" to review the announcement before applying.
- Alternative Work Schedule, staggered work hrs, or telework maybe available.
- Moving expenses will not be authorized.
- TOD: Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm
- May be required to travel locally and/or overnight 1to5 days per mth
DUTIES:Back to top
As an Information Technology Specialist (SA/AS), Relational Database Developer (Team Leader) you will:
• Develop software applications that include developing/updating/maintaining relational databases;
• As part of a large mission, draft project plans for a multifunctional development project in software analysis, design, development and implementation;
• Identify resource requirements in conjunction with a major national project and assign tasks to project members; report progress; ensure customer and management involvement throughout the software development process;
• Resolve critical issues involving an IRS IT mission, affecting the configuration of the IT infrastructure and coordinating the demonstration of new and enhanced applications to customers and management.
• Identify and correct weaknesses in critical performance parameters, and variances in achieving cost,
schedule, and performance goals involved with a major national project;
• Investigate, evaluate and select tools and methods for improving productivity and software quality
throughout the life cycle of a broad range of IRS IT applications;
• Assess the feasibility of adopting new systems analysis or software design technologies within the current IRS IT systems environment.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:Back to top
You must meet the following eligibility and basic qualification requirements by the closing date of this announcement. Provide technical guidance for the development of software applications that include developing, updating and/or maintaining relational databases.
Provide guidance to less experience coworkers in solving programming problems.
Provide expert technical advice, guidance and recommendations to management and other technical specialist on critical IT issues.
Mastery of and skill in applying the interrelationships of multiple IT specialties, network infrastructure, management software systems and new IT developments and applications.
Have expert knowledge of the underlying Oracle Apps structures and ability to utilize Oracle environment (such as; table, flex-fields, lists of values, etc.).
Identify resource requirement in conjunction with a major national project.
Identify and correct weaknesses in critical performance parameters
Investigate, evaluate and select tools and methods for improving productivity and software quality throughout the life cycle.
As part of a large mission, draft project plans for a multifunctional development project in software analysis, design, development and implementation.
BASIC REQUIREMENTS GS-14 LEVEL: At least one year of specialized experience equivalent to GS- 13 in the Federal government. Specialized experience is experience that is related to the work of this position and has provided you with the competencies required for successful job performance. Qualifying experience is experience that demonstrated accomplishment of computer project assignments that required a wide range of knowledge of computer requirements and techniques pertinent to the position to be filled. This knowledge is generally demonstrated by assignments where the applicant analyzed a number of alternative approaches in the process of advising management concerning major aspects of ADP system design, such as what system interrelationships must be considered, or what operating mode, system software, and/or equipment configuration is most appropriate for a given project. For Example:
In addition to the above specialized experience applicant must have experience in establishing Release Management procedures. Must have experience integrating mission critical systems in an environment of interdependent systems with mix of software languages, operating systems, and interfacing mechanisms. Experience must include supporting large integrated projects and package deployment activities through multiple releases throughout the production development lifecycle.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
To preview questions please click here.
- Your application will be rated based on education, training, and quality of your experience. You will respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following competencies: Computer Languages; Software Development; Software Testing and Evaluating; Systems Life Cycle; Teamwork; Technical Documentation.
Please be sure that your resume includes detailed information to support your qualifications for this position. Failure to provide sufficient evidence in your resume may result in a "NOT QUALIFIED" determination for this position. For tips preparing your resume click http://www.jobs.irs.gov/downloads/ResumeTips.pdf; for cover letter tips click http://www.jobs.irs.gov/downloads/CoverLetterTips.pdf.
- You will be tentatively assigned to a category group (A, B, C, etc.) based on your responses to the online questions. Each category group represents a quality level (i.e., A = Superior, B = Highly Qualified, etc.). Candidates will be considered in category group order. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the GS-9 level or higher). All other preference eligibles will be assigned based on their responses to the questions and will referred for selection before non-preference eligibles within the same category. Applicants are "tentatively" assigned to a category group pending qualifications validation and assessment results.
- Your final category assignment determines the order in which you are considered for the position, applicants are referred to the selecting manager in category order (A, B, C). You may be required to participate in a selection interview. The IRS will not reimburse costs related to the interview such as travel to and from the interview site. If you are a displaced or surplus federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP), you must receive a score of 80 or Category B or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.
HOW TO APPLY:Back to top
The application process has 6 STEPS: STEP 1:
Create an account at: https://my.usajobs.gov
. STEP 2:
Develop a Resume using the USAJOBS "Resume Builder" or "Upload" your Resume into USAJOBS. STEP 3:
Search for IRS Vacancy Announcements. To find this announcement, go to http://jobs.irs.gov/USAJOBS
, copy and enter the announcement number in the key word search field. Select "Yes", if you are a current or former Federal civilian employee who holds or held a non-temporary appointment. Click "Search for Jobs." Click "Apply Online" on the announcement screen, follow all instructions provided, and click "Apply for this position now!" STEP 4:
Complete all 5 steps in the CareerConnector Account Creation: 1) Personal Information; 2) Military Service & Veteran Preference; 3) Core Questions 4) Demographic Information and 5) Resume Information. Click "Apply to this Vacancy".STEP 5:
Apply to the Vacancy. Respond to the questions for each of the following sections: Series, Grade, Location; Grade Specific; & All Grade Questions. STEP 6:
Submit Documents and Review Application. Timely submit the supporting documents requested. Click one of the available options in CareerConnector: Upload; USAJOBS; Fax; or Reuse existing documents. Follow ALL instructions provided. Next, review the summary of the application you completed. Scroll down & click "Finish" at the bottom of the page. You will be automatically redirected to USAJOBS where you can track the status of your application. WHAT IF I FORGOT TO SUBMIT SOMETHING?
- Log into My USAJOBS at https://my.usajobs.gov with your user name and password.
- Click on "Application Status".
- Click "more information" under the "Application Status" column of the announcement.
- Click "Review and Update the documents if needed", on the "Application Detail" page.
- Select "Upload", "USAJOBS", "Fax", or "Reuse existing document" for each document to be submitted. Ensure you carefully follow ALL instructions provided.
- Click "Finish" to save this change.
If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee eligible for consideration under the click here.
you must submit proof of eligibility.VETERANS' PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION:
For more information on veterans’ preference, click the Veterans Information link below.NOTE: YOU MUST SUBMIT ALL DOCUMENTATION BY 11:59 P.M. ET ON THE CLOSING DATE OF THIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION.
WHAT TO EXPECT NEXT:
You can expect a communication from us concerning your application via email. If you provide an email address that is inaccurate or if your mailbox is full or blocked (e.g., spam-blocker), you may not receive important communications that could affect your consideration for this position. If your contact information changes after the closing date of the announcement, please notify the Employment Office (contact provided in this announcement) and update your USAJOBS profile. You can check the status of your application for this position at any time by logging onto your "My USAJOBS" account and clicking on "My Applications".