An applicant may meet the GS-5 basic qualifications in one of two ways:
1. Specialized Work Experience or
If qualifying based on Specialized Work Experience, you must:
Have the equivalent of at least one year of full-time Specialized Work Experience that was obtained after your 16th birthday.
Provide specific examples of qualifying knowledge, judgment, interpretive ability and technical skills related to a finished product.
Examples of Specialized Work Experience may include, but is not limited to:
Processing food in a slaughter, processing or manufacturing plant, or a comparable production activity which prepares food, beverages or pharmaceuticals for human consumption.
Meat cutter/butcher in a wholesale or retail meat/poultry business that includes a full range of responsible duties such as sanitation, product judgment, determinations, and/or using formulas and recipes.
Performing Quality Control tests and/or laboratory tests in the food, beverage, pharmaceutical or pet food industry or other similar environments, assuring that standards are met with products that are consumed by humans or animals.
Managing or supervising staff in the food or livestock industry demonstrating effective skills in communicating job requirements, evaluating employees' results of work methods or processes, interpreting standards or instructions and budget or payroll responsibilities.
Commercial restaurant or kitchen chef or cook responsible for proper food preparation, safe food handling and sanitation practices and judgment recognizing abnormalities in food.
Veterinary Technician conducting lab tests, assessing animals and/or partial examination of animals, performing necropsies, monitoring animals under anesthesia and administering medications.
If qualifying based on Education, you must:
- Have earned a Bachelor's degree or completed a full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Degree courses MUST include 12 semester or 18 quarter hours in the biological, mathematical, physical or agricultural sciences.
If you have not completed your degree, but are within 9 months of graduating, you may apply. All qualifications based on education will be verified. You must a submit a copy of your official transcripts when you apply. Failure to do so will result in an ineligible rating. If you are selected for a position with our Agency, you will be required to have official transcripts sent directly from your college, to our Human Resources Office prior to reporting for duty. If you are selected for a position, official transcripts must be sent directly from your college, in paper form in a sealed envelope or in a secure, certified official electronic format to our Minneapolis Human Resources Office.
GS-7 basic qualifications:
To qualify for the GS-7, you must have one year of full-time specialized experience. Specialized experience is regulatory food inspection work which involved either ante- and post- mortem inspection of red meat animals, poultry, fish, or seafood; or inspection of production of processed products involving red meat, poultry, fish, seafood, or egg products. If you do not have this type of specialized work experience, you will not be considered at the GS-7 level.
The duties of a Food Inspector are performed in a hazardous working environment. The below requirements are not an all inclusive list. Applicants must:
- Be physically and mentally able to efficiently perform the job functions, without hazard to themselves and others
- Have full range of motion to perform rapid repetitive twisting and working with arms above shoulder level
- Be able to stand and walk on slippery and uneven floors and catwalks, and climbing stairs and ladders
- Be able to lift, carry, push and pull up to 44 pounds
- Have manual dexterity of the upper body, including arms, hands, and fingers with a normal sense of touch in both hands
- Must be free of chronic eye disease
- Have good near and distance vision
- Have the ability to distinguish shades of color. (Any significant degree of color blindness (25 percent or more error rate on approved color plate test) is disqualifying).
- The ability to hear and understand conversational voice.
This position requires a successful passing of a pre-employment physical.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
After completing the online occupational questionnaire, View Occupational Questionnaire you will automatically be assigned an initial self-assessed rating based on your answers. Since this is an open continuous job announcement, the Human Resources Office will not evaluate your application immediately. Your resume should include detailed, specific information. You will be evaluated on your relevant education, work experience and training as it relates to the fundamental competencies (communication, decision making, flexibility, self management and conscientiousness), required for this job.
Basis of Rating:
- Applicants are evaluated in accordance with Delegated Examining Procedures. Rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. Ratings will be based on an evaluation tool tied to specific competencies relevant to this position.
- Veterans' Preference eligible's will receive rating and selection priority over non-preference eligible candidates. Veterans who provide proof of a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed above the other applicants.
- All requirements for this position must be met, including a complete application package that supports your answers to the occupational questionnaire. You are strongly encouraged to ensure that your work history thoroughly documents the duties, responsibilities, and accomplishments that are directly related to this position.
- If the Human Resources Office is not able to verify specialized experience based on what you provide you may miss consideration for one or more vacancies.
- The Human Resources Office will not conduct up front reviews and will not request missing documentation.
- If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your description of experience and/or education or that your application is incomplete, you may be assigned an "ineligible" rating.