You must meet the following requirements within 30 calendar days after the closing date of the announcement.
You must meet the BASIC EDUCATION REQUIREMENT:
A. Degree: accounting; or a degree in a related field such as business administration, finance, or public administration that included or was supplemented by 24 semester hours in accounting. The 24 hours may include up to 6 hours of credit in business law. (The term "accounting" means "accounting and/or auditing" in this standard. Similarly, "accountant" should be interpreted, generally, as "accountant and/or auditor.") OR
B. Combination of education and experience--at least 4 years of experience in accounting, or an equivalent combination of accounting experience, college-level education, and training that provided professional accounting knowledge. The applicant's background must also include one of the following:
1. Twenty-four semester hours in accounting or auditing courses of appropriate type and quality. This can include up to 6 hours of business law;
2. A certificate as Certified Public Accountant or a Certified Internal Auditor, obtained through written examination; or
3. Completion of the requirements for a degree that included substantial course work in accounting or auditing, e.g., 15 semester hours, but that does not fully satisfy the 24-semester-hour requirement of paragraph A, provided that (a) the applicant has successfully worked at the full-performance level in accounting, auditing, or a related field, e.g., valuation engineering or financial institution examining; (b) a panel of at least two higher level professional accountants or auditors has determined that the applicant has demonstrated a good knowledge of accounting and of related and underlying fields that equals in breadth, depth, currency, and level of advancement that which is normally associated with successful completion of the 4-year course of study described in paragraph A; and (c) except for literal nonconformance to the requirement of 24 semester hours in accounting, the applicant's education, training, and experience fully meet the specified requirements.
For the GS-07, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-05 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes using an automated accounting system and reconciliation of accounting documents. OR
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: One full year of graduate level education OR a Bachelor's Degree with Superior Academic Achievement demonstrated through class standing (upper third of the graduating class); grade point average (a GPA of 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on 4 years education or courses completed during the final 2 years; or a GPA of 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on required courses in the major field); or election to membership in a national scholastic honor society. A copy of transcript or list of college courses designating semester or quarter hours earned is required. OR
For the GS-09, you must have one year of specialized experience at a level of difficulty and responsibility equivalent to the GS-07 grade level in the Federal service. Specialized experience for this position includes experience using an automated accounting system, reconciliation of accounting documents, and experience interpreting and applying Federal accounting policies and procedures. OR
You may substitute education for specialized experience as follows: Two full years of progressively higher graduate education or Master's degree or an LL.B. or J.D. if related to the posted position. A copy of transcript or list of college courses designating semester or quarter hours earned is required. OR
You may qualify by a combination of experience and education. The experience may have been gained in either the public or private sector. One year of experience refers to full-time work; part-time work is considered on a prorated basis.
In addition to the above requirements, you must meet the following, if applicable:
Time In Grade: For the GS-07, you must have been at the GS-05 level for 52
For the GS-09, you must have been at the GS-07 level for 52 weeks.
Time After Competitive Appointment: Candidates who are current federal employees serving on a nontemporary competitive appointment must have served at least 3 months in that appointment.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your application includes your:
- Responses to the online questions, and
- Required supporting documents.
We use a multi-step process to evaluate and refer applicants:
We recommend that you preview the online questions for this announcement before you start the application process. To preview questions please click here.
- Minimum Requirements: Your application must show that you meet all requirements, including the education and/or experience required for this position. You may be found "not qualified" if you do not possess the minimum competencies required for the position. If your application is incomplete, we may rate you as ineligible.
- Rating: Your application will be evaluated in the following areas: Accounting, Oral Communication, Written Communication, and Financial Systems. Your application will be rated and ranked among others, based on the extent and quality of your experience, education, training, performance appraisals and awards relevant to the duties of this position. We may lower your rating if your responses to the online questions are not supported by the education and/or experience described in your application.
- Referral: If you are among the top qualified candidates, your application will be referred to a selecting official for consideration and possible interview. If you are a displaced or surplus Federal employee (eligible for the Career Transition Assistance Plan (CTAP)/Interagency Career Transition Assistance Plan (ICTAP)), you must receive a score of 90 or better to be rated as well qualified to receive special selection priority.